Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com> on 2000/11/10 20:28:41 UTC

[Resend] Ready for 3.2b7?

(Resending because it didn't show back up in my inbox -- sorry if you
get this twice)

It's been a week now, and I've committed > 20 patches to the 3.2 tree,
ranging from simple tweaks to security problems to spec compliance
bugs.  I believe that I've gotten all of the critical bug reports
submitted on the mailing lists or via BugRat.  Does anyone know of any
I've missed (see below for one issue I know is outstanding)?

What I'd like to do is build a "beta 7" release this afternoon and post
it.  That will give people a chance to pound on it.  Any critical bugs
we find will need to be fixed, but we need to hold off on changing
non-essential stuff so we can get a final 3.2 release out the door.

NOTE:  One issue that's been discussed in the last couple of days is
problems supporting the "load balancing" feature for root webapps.  I
haven't seen a proposed patch for this, but understand from the comments

of people that have tried kludges to work around it -- and it seems
unreasonable to risk destabilizing things at this late date.  I suggest
that any work on fixing this problem be deferred to a post-3.2-final
maintenance cycle.

Craig McClanahan

PS:  Thanks to everyone for all the bug reports, and to Larry and Nacho
for chipping in on the commits!

PPS:  When the 3.2 final release is completed, my personal focus is
going to return to the Tomcat 4.0 code base (which does not suffer from
any of the bugs patched in 3.2, although I did find one 4.0 bug along
the way :-).  If and when bugs show up in 3.2 final, I will be happy to
commit patches that people supply -- but any big debugging effort or
major new work on the 3.x track will need to be done by someone else.

Re: [Resend] Ready for 3.2b7?

Posted by kenneth topp <ca...@prodigy.net>.
Craig, the issues is still there.

Here (attached is a simple test case to test the issue).  It's gzip'ed to
500 byes, but's uncompressed' it's 100k.  Please let me know if you want
it in a different form.

How to test:

1) apache->tomcat 3.2b7 via ajp13 (on mod_jk)

2) point to test-postbug.jsp via browser.

3) Hit go.

I believe there was a post the other day about data chunks and that being
the issue.

Please let me know if there are troubles confirming this, also if I can
contribute towards the solution.

And the rest of tomcat 3.2 is looking really nice.

Thanks for the awesome container!

Kenneth Topp

Re: [Resend] Ready for 3.2b7?

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.

Re: [Resend] Ready for 3.2b7?

Posted by kenneth topp <ca...@prodigy.net>.
--critical, no workaround--

1) The ajp13 error with post data greater then 8k?
  Bug 367 & 194 I believe.

--non critical, easy workaround--

2) 404 hangs unless root context path w/o vhost exists...

Something like this:

    <error-page>
        <error-code>404</error-code>
        <location>/notfound.jsp</location>
    </error-page>

in mycontext/WEB-INF/web.xml

will spin tomcat to 100% cpu on 404

A solution/workaround is to put a root conext w/o vhost pointing
to the same web.xml.

Most other issues I've had I've verified close.  I'd like to assist with
issue #1, if people could explain it a bit better to me.. I'm already
trying to dig into mod_jk to give sessionId back to apache.

Looking forward to see 3.2 out the door, and on to 4.0!!

Thanks,

RE: [Resend] Ready for 3.2b7?

Posted by Marc Saegesser <ma...@apropos.com>.
Craig,

Verified this in 3.2b7 and it works fine.  Thanks.

Marc

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.

RE: [Resend] Ready for 3.2b7?