Posted to user@drill.apache.org by Jacques Nadeau <ja...@dremio.com> on 2015/10/01 19:37:52 UTC

Re: Making parquet data available to Tableau

Hey Chris,

Yes, this is definitely something that should be part of Drill but isn't
yet. REFRESH TABLE METADATA won't actually resolve the issue. There are
three separate pieces that will need to get resolved:

- Automatically scan workspace directories for known files/tables as part
of show tables/information schema (probably only workspace root files and
one directory down unless a ctas was done)
- Use parquet footer reading to expose table definition and validate query
and functions.
- Update Drill to merge different parquet schemas using schemaless rules
(and add appropriate projections to scans as necessary)

We should put together some jiras for each of these and get them done.

Thanks for bringing this up, it is something that should be fixed.

--
Jacques Nadeau
CTO and Co-Founder, Dremio

Posted by Boris Chmiel <bo...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Hi all,As part of our experimentations and use cases, we found that the need of creating a view on top of each parquet file containing all the metadata already specifyed earlier as a source limitation in the process of making data available to Tableau. Using the parquet footer would considered to be a huge improvement in this area.RegsBoris