Posted to taglibs-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> on 2005/01/04 04:23:01 UTC

SVN migration

Just wondering if the Taglibs community have any thoughts on a
migration to Subversion?

I'm aiming to get Jakarta migrated over to Subversion this quarter and
this email is intended to nudge the start of the Taglibs migration. The process
seems pretty easy, though I'm not finished on my first one (jakarta-regexp):

http://www.apache.org/dev/cvs2svn.html

The Jakarta status is in the wiki at:

http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta/Migrating_20to_20Subversion

Alternatively, I'm looking to hear the problems with the idea of a
migration to SVN so I can get the Infrastructure guys to deal with
them.

Thanks,

Hen

Re: SVN migration

Posted by Rahul P Akolkar <ak...@us.ibm.com>.
Jamie Flournoy wrote:

> Also, I agree with Martin Cooper. Move first, rename later.

Sure, I thought the renaming "call for brainstorming" would be treated as
an orthogonal (sub)thread to the motion for the move. Didn't mean to
interrupt the motion itself, if that was the impression created.

-Rahul

Re: SVN migration

Posted by Jamie Flournoy <ja...@white-mountain.org>.
Since there was a call for chatter... :)

+1 on the move to Subversion as soon as possible. I use it at the day
job and I have no complaints.

Also, I agree with Martin Cooper. Move first, rename later. There's not
really a dependency there (no real reason why renaming has to happen
during the CVS->Subversion migration), plus Subversion makes renaming
directories easy (so there's not really a drawback to postponing it),
plus it's generally better to split up changes so that you can adjust to
them one by one.

Re: SVN migration

Posted by Kris Schneider <kr...@dotech.com>.
Not a lot of chatter on this, eh? I'll just reiterate that I think it makes the
most sense to just do the least surprising thing and adopt "proper" along with
commons.

--
Kris Schneider <ma...@dotech.com>
D.O.Tech       <http://www.dotech.com/>

Re: SVN migration

Posted by Martin Cooper <mf...@gmail.com>.

Re: SVN migration

Posted by Kris Schneider <kr...@dotech.com>.
Okay, if commons is really using "proper" then it only seems proper that we use
"proper" too. I'm all for consistency. Wouldn't you like to be a proper too...
Sorry...

Re: SVN migration

Posted by Felipe Leme <ja...@felipeal.net>.
On Wed, 2005-01-05 at 20:16, Rahul P Akolkar wrote:

> core reminds me of a core dump and proper makes me feel like its improper
> for me to be in the sandbox :)

Not to mentioned the JSTL core taglib...

> Why not use the same nomenclature as the left-side menu on our web home?
>
> http://jakarta.apache.org/taglibs/
>
> jakarta/
>   taglibs/
>     supported/
>     sandbox/
>
> Maybe even have siblings toolext and deprecated (siblings of supported).

Hmm, that makes sense.

The only problem I see with this approach is how to reuse Ant tasks,
like the common.xml (which would be used in all sub-directories). Maybe
we can also create a 'common' sub-directory that would have all such
artifacts (by speaking of artifacts, I'd like to migrate the whole
project to Maven someday - this is another advantage of porting to svn,
as it supports moving directories, which facilitates a lot project
refactoring).

-- Felipe

Re: SVN migration

Posted by Rahul P Akolkar <ak...@us.ibm.com>.

Re: SVN migration

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.

Re: SVN migration

Posted by Kris Schneider <kr...@dotech.com>.
The structure sounds fine, but is commons really going with the label, "proper"?
 I prefer "core", but I guess it's nothing to lose sleep over. I've only played

Re: SVN migration

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.

Re: SVN migration

Posted by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@mail.more.net>.

Re: SVN migration

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005, Henri Yandell wrote:

> Just wondering if the Taglibs community have any thoughts on a
> migration to Subversion?

I am +1 on migrating Taglibs to Subversion. I don't anticipate any issues
that Jakarta Commons hasn't dealt with already (i.e. deciding on the repo
structure), and would in fact expect Taglibs to follow the same model as
Commons.

The '1' part of my '+1' can't take effect immediately, I'm afraid, since I
have too many irons in the fire at the moment. However, if nobody else
steps up to the plate beforehand, I hope to have some time to push this
through next month.

(Actually, it wouldn't be a bad thing to wait until the Commons migration
has completed, so that we can ensure that there are no unanticipated
stumbling blocks with the approach being taken there.)

--
Martin Cooper