Posted to dev@cayenne.apache.org by Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@maniatis.org> on 2010/01/11 04:53:57 UTC

Re: Type-safe qualifiers

On 31/12/09 7:04 PM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:
> I like "dot" and "eq" because they have fewer letters, making things
> more tight. (also we used the term "path", not "join", so I guess
> there's really no precedent here). But good point about outer joins.
> Will definitely need to address that aspect.

I don't want to bikeshed on the details here when the overall idea is so nice, but just to finish this part of the conversation....

* 'dot' isn't very clear to me. I don't immediately make the connection that 'dot' == '.' == 'path' == 'join'. And maybe it just my maths background, but the first thing I thought of was 'dot product' in vector maths. [1]

* I liked 'join' mainly because anyone who knows SQL will understand instantly what that means, and 'outerJoin' is also immediately obvious.

* 'outerDot' sounds really silly :-)

Ari

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dot_product

--