Posted to user@jspwiki.apache.org by Janne Jalkanen <ja...@iki.fi> on 2008/11/27 12:23:01 UTC

JSPWiki + Ubuntu

Ever wondered how you could help JSPWiki?  If someone could
answer this question at Ubuntu launchpad, it would be great!

(Actually, jspwiki.org runs Ubuntu, but we've got a custom
tomcat installation, so I have no idea how the default Ubuntu install
runs.  Anybody want to build a .deb?  Kalle?)

/Janne

Re: JSPWiki + Ubuntu

Posted by Kalle Kivimaa <ka...@iki.fi>.
Kristian Rink <ka...@zimmer428.net> writes:
> Personally, seeing too many "badness" arising from distribution specific
> packaging of Java and related technologies, so far I have come to a
> conclusion of not to use any of these off .debs anyhow but rather use the
> "plain" versions in all these cases

The point of having distribution packages is that then you have a
nicely similar way of configuring your software. Eg. in Debian, *all*
configuration resides in /etc, so there's /etc/jspwiki with
jspwiki.properties, web.xml, etc. The actual software is then in
/usr/share/jspwiki and the documentation in /usr/share/doc/jspwiki,
just like in any other Debian package. Makes it a lot easier to find,
than to try to remember that "OK, this is a WAR, so it's probably in
/usr/share/jspwiki/WEB-INF, no, there is nothing there, maybe it is
then /var/lib/jspwiki, no, OK, let's see Tomcat's config."

Plus you can use the distribution configuration tools to configure
JSPWiki.

--
* Sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology (T.P)  *
*           PGP public key available @ http://www.iki.fi/killer           *

Re: JSPWiki + Ubuntu

Posted by Janne Jalkanen <ja...@iki.fi>.
> much platform dependent format such as .deb seems sort of funny). Maybe
> however a "batteries included" version of JSPWiki to come with embedded
> tomcat/jetty would help much here...

Well, there is the Wiki-on-a-Stick, but it seems like the interest
somehow waned on that.  Since we already have Jetty for web testing,
building a turnkey, self-installable solution would be pretty easy, I
think.  It just needs someone to tweak our build process...

/Janne

Re: JSPWiki + Ubuntu

Posted by Kristian Rink <ka...@zimmer428.net>.
Hi *;

I was rude enough to post a quick reply there, hope it'll be of some help
nevertheless...

Murray Altheim schrieb:
[...]
> As for answering this guy's questions, I've only had to set JAVA_HOME
> for my own local build environment, never for Tomcat, which seems on
> Ubuntu to manage just fine when letting the Synaptic Package Manager
> do all the installations of Apache, Tomcat and Java. I've not had to
> touch any of that on a default Ubuntu installation.

For what I see, most of these questions basically come down not to JSPWiki
related stuff but rather to fundamental issues of administering a given
servlet container (tomcat, glassfish v3, whatever). That's where I see the
problem of having these packages available to "simply" be installed using
apt-get in Ubuntu is tempting also to those not at all knowing how to, say,
deploy a Java EE .war module...

> After installation I've just used the Tomcat Manager to start and
> stop the web app.
> I don't know how to build a .deb file though, sorry.

Personally, seeing too many "badness" arising from distribution specific
packaging of Java and related technologies, so far I have come to a
conclusion of not to use any of these off .debs anyhow but rather use the
"plain" versions in all these cases (not mentioning the understanding that
packaging a Java application which is per se platform-agnostic in a pretty
much platform dependent format such as .deb seems sort of funny). Maybe
however a "batteries included" version of JSPWiki to come with embedded
tomcat/jetty would help much here...

Cheers,
Kristian

Re: JSPWiki + Ubuntu

Posted by Kristian Rink <ka...@zimmer428.net>.
Hassan Schroeder schrieb:
[...]
> If you search the Tomcat-users mailing list, you'll find many, many
> references to people having problems with Linux-distro-repackaged
> versions of Tomcat -- which invariably go away when they download a
> standard Apache-generated binary.

The same goes for JDK in some cases as I had to experience on the glassfish
mailing list seeing servers goin' down in arcane JVM exceptions that went
away simply by using a "plain" JDK. Not even talking about messing with the
need to meet dependencies in two package management systems in some cases
(Eclipse plugins, in example) - so overally I tend to recommend people to
stay away from *deb/*rpm packaged builds of any Java based applications.
Installing them manually is not that much more dificult and obviously might
save a few hours of pain... :)
K.

--
Kristian Rink
cell    :  +49 176 2447 2771

Re: JSPWiki + Ubuntu

Posted by Hassan Schroeder <ha...@webtuitive.com>.
Murray Altheim wrote:

> As for answering this guy's questions, I've only had to set JAVA_HOME
> for my own local build environment, never for Tomcat, which seems on
> Ubuntu to manage just fine when letting the Synaptic Package Manager
> do all the installations of Apache, Tomcat and Java. I've not had to
> touch any of that on a default Ubuntu installation.

If you search the Tomcat-users mailing list, you'll find many, many
references to people having problems with Linux-distro-repackaged
versions of Tomcat -- which invariably go away when they download a
standard Apache-generated binary.

FWIW, just another data point...

Webtuitive Design ===  (+1) 408-621-3445   === http://webtuitive.com

                           dream.  code.

Re: JSPWiki + Ubuntu

Posted by Kalle Kivimaa <ka...@iki.fi>.
Murray Altheim <mu...@altheim.com> writes:
> I could copy this over to the launchpad site as an answer but it
> (to me) doesn't seem like much of an answer.

If you have an account there, just tell that there is a 2.8.0 in
Debian and that should be trivially installable in an Ubuntu system.

I would have answered but I hate web forums that require account
creation even more than I hate web forums in general.

Re: JSPWiki + Ubuntu

Posted by Murray Altheim <mu...@altheim.com>.
Janne Jalkanen wrote:
> Ever wondered how you could help JSPWiki?  If someone could
> answer this question at Ubuntu launchpad, it would be great!
>
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/52609
>
> (Actually, jspwiki.org runs Ubuntu, but we've got a custom
> tomcat installation, so I have no idea how the default Ubuntu install
> runs.  Anybody want to build a .deb?  Kalle?)

We've been running JSPWiki on both Ubuntu and Solaris without any
special futzing around with anything other than the configuration of
jspwiki.properties.

We've run Java 5 and 6 on Tomcat 5.5 without any issues. I've never
installed from a war file, I've always built via "ant war", unjarred
the result, then modified jspwiki.properties (mostly just features,
path and base URL changes) before simply copying it into Tomcat's
"webapps" directory.

As for answering this guy's questions, I've only had to set JAVA_HOME
for my own local build environment, never for Tomcat, which seems on
Ubuntu to manage just fine when letting the Synaptic Package Manager
do all the installations of Apache, Tomcat and Java. I've not had to
touch any of that on a default Ubuntu installation.

After installation I've just used the Tomcat Manager to start and
stop the web app.

I don't know how to build a .deb file though, sorry.

I could copy this over to the launchpad site as an answer but it
(to me) doesn't seem like much of an answer.

Murray

Murray Altheim <murray08 at altheim dot com>                       ===  = =

                                       -- The Blue Cliff Record

Re: JSPWiki + Ubuntu

Posted by Kalle Kivimaa <ka...@iki.fi>.
Janne Jalkanen <ja...@iki.fi> writes:
> Can you update for 2.8.1 as well?

Planning to, when I happen to have the time...

Re: JSPWiki + Ubuntu

Posted by Janne Jalkanen <ja...@iki.fi>.

Re: JSPWiki + Ubuntu

Posted by Kalle Kivimaa <ka...@iki.fi>.

Re: JSPWiki + Ubuntu

Posted by Janne Jalkanen <ja...@iki.fi>.
> runs.  Anybody want to build a .deb?  Kalle?)

...and I just noticed that there *is* a .deb in Debian Sid for JSPWiki
2.8.0!  Yay!

(Though, unfortunately it didn't make it to Ubuntu 8.10.  It's still
2.5.139...  But maybe for Jaunty?)

/janne