Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Tony Finch <do...@dotat.at> on 2001/01/08 23:39:40 UTC

more in the 1.3.X byteranges saga

OK, I've been working with wrowe and jim on the byteranges problem so
that we can get 1.3.15 out, and we think we have a satisfactory patch
now.

This patch includes a rewrite of the parsing code and a reorganization
of the code that calls it to make it clearer that it implements what
the RFC says. With the patch we now implement the syntax properly and
deal with unsatisfiable requests, which we did not do before.

The patch is available from http://apache.org/~fanf/http_protocol.patch.fanf
and I've attached the patch and the new version of code to this email
for ease of reading. I'll also update the STATUS file.

Reviews and testing, please, so we can get the +1s :-)

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch    fanf@covalent.net    dot@dotat.at
" ``Well, let's go down and find out who's grave it is.''

Re: more in the 1.3.X byteranges saga

Posted by Tony Finch <do...@dotat.at>.
Tony Finch <do...@dotat.at> wrote:
>Tony Finch <do...@dotat.at> wrote:
>>
>>The patch is available from http://apache.org/~fanf/http_protocol.patch.fanf
>>and I've attached the patch and the new version of code to this email
>>for ease of reading. I'll also update the STATUS file.
>
>Because of a number of requests I've also created a patch against 1.3.14.
>http://www.apache.org/~fanf/http_protocol.c.1.3.14.patch

And you can now also get a ready-patched copy of the file from
http://www.apache.org/~fanf/http_protocol.c

I'm getting more feedback now which is nice :-) We still need some
proper reviews.

Tony.

Posted by Tony Finch <do...@dotat.at>.
Tony Finch <do...@dotat.at> wrote:

>The patch is available from http://apache.org/~fanf/http_protocol.patch.fanf
>and I've attached the patch and the new version of code to this email
>for ease of reading. I'll also update the STATUS file.

Because of a number of requests I've also created a patch against 1.3.14.
http://www.apache.org/~fanf/http_protocol.c.1.3.14.patch

Any feedback is welcome, from users as well as developers :-)

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch    fanf@covalent.net    dot@dotat.at
"Plan 9 deals with the resurrection of the dead."

Re: more in the 1.3.X byteranges saga

Posted by Tony Finch <do...@dotat.at>.
Tony Finch <do...@dotat.at> wrote:

>The patch is available from http://apache.org/~fanf/http_protocol.patch.fanf
>and I've attached the patch and the new version of code to this email
>for ease of reading. I'll also update the STATUS file.

I should remember which MUA I'm using...

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch    fanf@covalent.net    dot@dotat.at
"You realize there's a government directive stating

Re: more in the 1.3.X byteranges saga

Posted by Tony Finch <do...@dotat.at>.
Bill Stoddard <bi...@wstoddard.com> wrote:
>> Tony Finch <do...@dotat.at> wrote:
>> >
>> >Reviews and testing, please, so we can get the +1s :-)
>>
>> Pretty-please?
>
>Is it significant that r->range gets nuked by parse_byterange?  Perhaps parse
>on a copy of r->range?

Check the old code. Handlers call ap_each_byterange to get the details
of each range that must be returned to the client; ap_each_byterange
calls internal_byterange with r_range pointing to r->range;
internal_byterange calls ap_getword to get each comma-separated range;
ap_getword modifies r->range.

Thanks for bringing this up; I had treated r->range as being owned by
the byteranges code so I could do what I liked with it, but it turns
out that although the new parsing code works in a completely different
way r->range should AFAICT end up pointing to the same stuff.

The API of the new code should be exactly the same as the old code.
The support for returning 416 errors has been added in a backwardly-
compatible way -- wrowe came up with that cleverness.

Tony.

Posted by Bill Stoddard <bi...@wstoddard.com>.
> Tony Finch <do...@dotat.at> wrote:
> >
> >Reviews and testing, please, so we can get the +1s :-)
>
> Pretty-please?

Is it significant that r->range gets nuked by parse_byterange?  Perhaps parse
on a copy of r->range?

Bill

Re: more in the 1.3.X byteranges saga

Posted by Martin Kraemer <Ma...@Fujitsu-Siemens.com>.
On Fri, Jan 12, 2001 at 12:59:48AM +0000, Tony Finch wrote:
> Tony Finch <do...@dotat.at> wrote:
> >
> >Reviews and testing, please, so we can get the +1s :-)
>
> Pretty-please?

>From Source review, looks *very* good. +0 for now.
How about makong a list of test cases with indication of fail/pass?
   __Byte-Range__  _Result_
  ""               fail
  "1-2"            pass
  "1,2"            fail
  etc?

   Martin
--
<Ma...@Fujitsu-Siemens.com>    |       Fujitsu Siemens
       <ma...@apache.org>              |   81730  Munich,  Germany

Re: more in the 1.3.X byteranges saga

Posted by Tony Finch <do...@dotat.at>.
Tony Finch <do...@dotat.at> wrote:

>Reviews and testing, please, so we can get the +1s :-)

Pretty-please?

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch    fanf@covalent.net    dot@dotat.at
"If I didn't see it with my own eyes I would never have believed it!"

>and I've attached the patch and the new version of code to this email
>for ease of reading. I'll also update the STATUS file.

must be light reading (at least the attached version) but
I could have sworn it was a really -big- thing :-)

Re: more in the 1.3.X byteranges saga

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@covalent.net>.
Nice code; and it applies, it runs and even seems to do what it should
with Mac's acrobat. +0 for now. (I'll give you a +1 after some more real
testing.

Dw