Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Ben Laurie <be...@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk> on 1996/11/03 22:38:03 UTC

Re: patch for mod_rewrite.c to work with SSL

Brian Behlendorf wrote:

>   This message is in MIME format.  The first part should be readable text,
>   while the remaining parts are likely unreadable without MIME-aware tools.
>   Send mail to mime@docserver.cac.washington.edu for more info.
>
> --------------2AAD4BA61C38899D3623C6A3
>
> On Thu, 31 Oct 1996, Michael Smith wrote:
> > OK here's my patch to make mod_rewrite work with SSL.  First I had to
> > change the line in Configuration from
> >
> > Module rewrite_module mod_rewrite.c

> > Module rewrite_module mod_rewrite.o
> >
> > And make the changes as shown in the attachement
>
> While minor changes to mod_rewrite can probably be made and committed in the
> Apache cvs tree (for example, I cleaned up a bunch of -Wall warnings related to
> constification of the code), it would probably be best if Ralf himself were
> coordinating further functionality development on mod_rewrite.c, and then
> giving us new versions as they are produced (or best of all, patches).  Ralf's
> address is rse@engelschall.com.

Whilst I agree with the sentiment somewhat, I have to disagree with the
language here. If mod_rewrite is a core module, then we coordinate it. Of
course, it would be nice if Ralf kept us up to date with changes.

> Ralf, is this consistant with what you want?

Come on. I don't get asked what I want, RST doesn't get to choose how we mangle
his code. What's going on here?

Cheers,

Ben.

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>.
On Sun, 3 Nov 1996, Ben Laurie wrote:
> > Ralf, is this consistant with what you want?
>
> Come on. I don't get asked what I want, RST doesn't get to choose how we mangle
> his code. What's going on here?

The way I see it, there are a couple folks who have some level of domain over
certain areas of the code: Chuck on the proxy for example, Randy and Jason Dour
on the exec centralization and suexec incorporation, etc.  I defer to Ralf on
changes to mod_rewrite.c because he understands that code better than anyone.
In this case, for example, to "support SSL" means to support https: URL's -
maybe Ralf is working on something which allows mod_rewrite to be independent
of the protocol used or something, I don't know.  You're right, now that it's
part of the Apache distribution we *do* have the ability to modify anything in
the core; but I figured it would be best to respect that some folks are
attached to certain chunks of code.  *shrug*.

	Brian