Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Jason Bowerman <ja...@hotmail.com> on 2003/12/30 04:20:52 UTC

[users@httpd] Resolving domain names to local workstation

Hi

I am using a stand-alone machine and I want to set up apache so when I type
in certian domain names (d.net and q.net) in my wen browser it resolves to
the local machine.

I believe I have made the appropriate changes (see below).  However, when I
type in d.net or q.net it often fails (about 90% of the time) ... but 10% of
the time it works... totally confusing.

Any ideas?

thanks, Jason

------

I have put this in my HOSTS file:

    127.0.0.1 q.net.au
    127.0.0.1 d.net.au

and added this to httpd.conf:

    ServerName 127.0.0.1
    NameVirtualHost *

    <VirtualHost *>
        ServerAdmin admin@q.net
        DocumentRoot c:/q.net
        ServerName q.net
        ErrorLog c:/q.net/logs/q.net-error_log
        CustomLog c:/q.net/logs/q.net-access_log common
    </VirtualHost>

    <VirtualHost *>
        ServerAdmin admin@d.net
        DocumentRoot c:/d.net
        ServerName d.net
        ErrorLog c:/d.net/logs/d.net-error_log
        CustomLog c:/d.net/logs/d.net-access_log common
    </VirtualHost>

RE: [users@httpd] Resolving domain names to local workstation

Posted by Chris <ch...@leftbrained.org>.
I see 1 problem, and 1 possible problem:

Your servername *needs* to be fully qualifed, so it must be q.net.au and
d.net.au (the entries in your host file).

You've got the logs writing inside the DocumentRoot, there may be all sorts
of funky stuff going on because of that (though it may work fine).

Chris