Posted to dev@sentry.apache.org by Lenni Kuff <ls...@cloudera.com> on 2015/11/10 20:25:27 UTC

[DISCUSS] Cool off period for commits?

Currently Sentry has not policy in place for a cool off period for commits
(time after patch has gotten +1'ed that the change can be committed). This
limits the opportunity other people in the community can review a change
prior to it going in. This is particularly important since we have
committers across many different time zones

What do you all think about adding a cool-off period for all commits after
a patch has gotten a +1? The Hive project uses 24 hours, so we could go
with that. Could also use something longer like 48 or 72 hours. Thoughts?

Thanks,
Lenni

Re: [DISCUSS] Cool off period for commits?

Posted by Ryan P <ry...@gmail.com>.
Can't stop won't stop! But for real I'm down with a 24hr freeze

Posted by Anne Yu <an...@cloudera.com>.
Correction: +1 Cool off 24 hours. 48 hours and 72 hours seem to be a little
*too long*;

On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 2:21 PM, Anne Yu <an...@cloudera.com> wrote:

> +1 Cool off 24 hours. 48 hours and 72 hours seem to be a little longer.
>
> On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 11:25 AM, Lenni Kuff <ls...@cloudera.com> wrote:
>
>> Currently Sentry has not policy in place for a cool off period for commits
>> (time after patch has gotten +1'ed that the change can be committed). This
>> limits the opportunity other people in the community can review a change
>> prior to it going in. This is particularly important since we have
>> committers across many different time zones
>>
>> What do you all think about adding a cool-off period for all commits after
>> a patch has gotten a +1? The Hive project uses 24 hours, so we could go
>> with that. Could also use something longer like 48 or 72 hours. Thoughts?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Lenni

> Anne

Anne

Re: [DISCUSS] Cool off period for commits?

Posted by Anne Yu <an...@cloudera.com>.
+1 Cool off 24 hours. 48 hours and 72 hours seem to be a little longer.

On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 11:25 AM, Lenni Kuff <ls...@cloudera.com> wrote:

> Currently Sentry has not policy in place for a cool off period for commits
> (time after patch has gotten +1'ed that the change can be committed). This
> limits the opportunity other people in the community can review a change
> prior to it going in. This is particularly important since we have
> committers across many different time zones
>
> What do you all think about adding a cool-off period for all commits after
> a patch has gotten a +1? The Hive project uses 24 hours, so we could go
> with that. Could also use something longer like 48 or 72 hours. Thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
> Lenni

Anne

Re: [DISCUSS] Cool off period for commits?

Posted by Sravya Tirukkovalur <sr...@cloudera.com>.
On Fri, Nov 13, 2015 at 12:34 AM, Lenni Kuff <ls...@cloudera.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 2:57 PM, Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net> wrote:
>
> > Can you go into more detail how this would work?
> >

> Currently, the requirements for a patch to be committed are:
> 1) Patch posted to JIRA
> 2) Patch reviewed, gets +1 from a committer
> 3) All tests pass (automated by our pre-commit checks)
>
> Under the new proposal, an additional requirement would be added (the
> "cool-off period"):
>
> 1) Patch posted to JIRA
> 2) Patch reviewed, gets +1 from a committer
> 3) All tests pass (automated by our pre-commit checks)
> 4) Wait 24? hours from step 1).

24 hours from patch posted does not seem to affect development and commit
pace as much as 24 hours after a +1. It would only really affects patches
which get reviewed and committed in 24 hours which seems like a small pool
to me.

Question: Does the patch posted have to be the final patch though?

--
Sravya Tirukkovalur

Re: [DISCUSS] Cool off period for commits?

Posted by Lenni Kuff <ls...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Lenni Kuff <ls...@cloudera.com>.
On Fri, Nov 13, 2015 at 12:15 AM, Lenni Kuff <ls...@cloudera.com> wrote:

> Good point Sravya. I think adding criteria such as all changes > 100 lines
> of code would overcomplicate things and be hard to follow. One of the goals
> here is to be sure we have more than one set of eyes on a change before it
> gets committed. Even though it adds a wait time for small patches, it could
> help catch a problem where someone introduced an incompatibility in a
> public interface with a tiny change. We could add an exception to
> short-circuit the cool-off period if the change is to unblock the build - a
> compile failure,  test failure, etc. That would ensure urgent patches can
> still get committed quickly.

We could also have an exclusion for development branches - since they might
need to iterate more quickly.

Posted by Lenni Kuff <ls...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Sravya Tirukkovalur <sr...@cloudera.com>.
I think cool off makes sense in general, but i think it would be an unnecessary overhead for smallish patches, bug fixes, test fixes. Might create a dependency which can significantly delay development pace. But I do understand defining the criteria might be tricky, thoughts?

Sravya

> On Nov 10, 2015, at 6:26 PM, Sun, Dapeng <da...@intel.com> wrote:
>
> +1 for 24 hours.
>
> I usually waited for 24 hours and committed. I think people in community could join the jira discussion after jira created or patch available. 24 hours is enough to give a buffer for people in different time zones.
>
> About the detail, how about "24 hours after first +1 if there's no objection"? We can also updated https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SENTRY/How+to+commit after discussion.
>
> Regards
> Dapeng

Best,

jzb

Posted by Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net>.
Can you go into more detail how this would work?

On Tue, Nov 10, 2015, at 02:25 PM, Lenni Kuff wrote:
> Currently Sentry has not policy in place for a cool off period for
> commits
> (time after patch has gotten +1'ed that the change can be committed).
> This
> limits the opportunity other people in the community can review a change
> prior to it going in. This is particularly important since we have
> committers across many different time zones
>
> What do you all think about adding a cool-off period for all commits
> after
> a patch has gotten a +1? The Hive project uses 24 hours, so we could go
> with that. Could also use something longer like 48 or 72 hours. Thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
> Lenni

Best,

jzb

Posted by Lenni Kuff <ls...@cloudera.com>.
Unless someone objects, let's hold off on this for the time being. It seems
like there are some mixed feelings and I'm not sure we want to add more
process to solve a problem that may not even exist. We can always pick this
discussion back up in the future if we identify a clear need.

Thanks,
Lenni

Posted by Prasad Mujumdar <pr...@apache.org>.
+0