Posted to taglibs-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@voyager.apg.more.net> on 2001/07/11 20:53:12 UTC

Re: thoughts on new builds (was: Re: [UPDATE] Converting existing taglibs to use new build)

I have a proposal.

Why not give everyone a few weeks or so to use the new system.
Then we can call a VOTE on it.

Glenn

Posted by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@voyager.apg.more.net>.
Shawn Bayern wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Jul 2001, Glenn Nielsen wrote:
>
> > I have a proposal.
> >
> > Why not give everyone a few weeks or so to use the new system.
> > Then we can call a VOTE on it.
>
> There are also middle-ground ideas, like providing a little script written
> in Java to download the necessary libraries.  (Does Ant support anything
> like that?  An "acquire and unpack" action?)  If we kept all the relevant
> URLs to libraries up to date, such a process might be as easy as including
> all of our dependencies in CVS, and might not have any of the drawbacks
> (which I agree are severe) of including other distributions with ours.
>
> Shawn

That is a great idea Shawn!

Ant does support getting files from remote systems using the <get> tag.
The only potential drawback are those remote sites which require a login
to download the jar file or distribution (Some Sun provided Java API's).

Hmmm, I wonder if we can get anyone to volunteer to test and/or implement
this. James seems to have the itch that needs scatching. ;-)

Regards,

Glenn

Re: thoughts on new builds (was: Re: [UPDATE] Converting existing taglibs to use new build)

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@yahoo.co.uk>.
From: "Shawn Bayern" <ba...@essentially.net>
> > I have a proposal.
> >
> > Why not give everyone a few weeks or so to use the new system.
> > Then we can call a VOTE on it.
>
> There are also middle-ground ideas, like providing a little script written
> in Java to download the necessary libraries.  (Does Ant support anything
> like that?  An "acquire and unpack" action?)  If we kept all the relevant
> URLs to libraries up to date, such a process might be as easy as including
> all of our dependencies in CVS, and might not have any of the drawbacks
> (which I agree are severe) of including other distributions with ours.

Agreed - the JARs don't need to be in CVS - just some standard place. Then
setting up an Ant target to download them would be great.

Ant has a <get> task which works on http / ftp so it should be fairly
straightforward to cobble something simple together. Though I'll investigate
how the CJAN project is going to see if there's a more elegant solution as
this is a general problem with jakarta projects.

James

Re: thoughts on new builds (was: Re: [UPDATE] Converting existing taglibs to use new build)

Posted by Shawn Bayern <ba...@essentially.net>.