Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by "Guthmann, Scott" <sg...@on3solutions.com> on 2013/01/06 23:17:43 UTC

[Marketing] - Telling the world that we are a TLP...

> Now that we are a TLP and flex.apache.org is up and running, how do we tell that to the world?

I would like to help with this project. I am drafting the format for a press release (PR) and I will volunteer to be the press contact. I can also help with copy editing. However, I will need someone to help me fill in the content. This document should be 400 - 500 words in 4 - 5 paragraphs. The elements in the document I am formatting are listed here [1].

The PR piece needs to answer a few questions in my view:
What has just been released, by who, & how was the work done?
Why should the business manager use Apache Flex (the open source release) instead of another development language?
                  => list the most important business benefits of Apache Flex 4.9 in this area.
Why should current application owners upgrade their existing Adobe Flex applications to the community release?
                  => add quote in this section
What capabilities does the Apache Flex release 4.9 have for business managers and developers that Adobe Flex 4.6 does not?
                  => add quote in this section
Because this new SDK was released, what breakthroughs have occurred? (is it first? is it best? is it preferred? is it the only?)
                  => add quote in this section
There should be 2 - 3 quotes in it from a couple of developers involved in the project that adds credibility to the piece.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Press_release#Elements

RE: [Marketing] - Telling the world that we are a TLP...

Posted by Michael Schmalle <ap...@teotigraphix.com>.
Ha,

I don't think I am interview quality Scott. :)

I am more of a down in the trenches fighter, than social tact and
eloquence. Although I admire those that have it.

Mike

--
Michael Schmalle - Teoti Graphix, LLC
http://www.teotigraphix.com

RE: [Marketing] - Telling the world that we are a TLP...

Posted by "Guthmann, Scott" <sg...@on3solutions.com>.

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.
Yeah. It was an attempt at sarcasm…

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

A few more:
http://jaxenter.com/apache-flex-gains-top-level-project-status-but-is-it-too-late-45999.html
http://www.eweek.com/developer/apache-software-foundation-delivers-flex-as-top-level-project/
http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Flex-Flash-app-platform-becomes-Apache-top-level-project-1783516.html

And pops up in German and Russian and Japanese!
http://www.heise.de/developer/meldung/Flash-Anwendungen-Flex-nun-Top-Level-Projekt-von-Apache-1783242.html
http://www.vanderboot.ru/rnews.php?hh=art.shtml?num=35827
http://japanese.mobilenapps.com/articles/5326/20130114/apache-flex-4-9-top-level-project.htm?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Also lots of tweets including one referring to the "Adobe Software Foundation" :-)

Justin

RE: [Marketing] - Telling the world that we are a TLP...

Posted by "Guthmann, Scott" <sg...@on3solutions.com>.
Subject: Re: Announcing Apache Flex TLP + v4.9 [was Re: Thank you for taking my call]

Good morning, everyone. We are live --

-NASDAQ GlobeNewswire [1]
-ASF Blog [2]
-@TheASF Twitter Feed [3]
...as well as to [4] and our dedicated media/analyst list. This will appear on the apache.org homepage after the next auto-update, which should take place within the hour, if not sooner.

We're good publicity-wise: lots of re-tweets and buzz [5]

[1] http://www.globenewswire.com/news-release/2013/01/14/516186/10017952/en/The-Apache-Software-Foundation-Announces-Apache-Flex-tm-as-a-Top-Level-Project.html
[2] http://s.apache.org/gS
[3] https://twitter.com/TheASF/status/290775445559984128
[4] announce@apache.org
[5] https://twitter.com/search/realtime?q=apache+flex&src=typd

Re: [Marketing] - Telling the world that we are a TLP...

Posted by Michael Schmalle <ap...@teotigraphix.com>.

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Greg Reddin <gr...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, Scott for helping with this!

Posted by "Guthmann, Scott" <sg...@on3solutions.com>.
> Removing "web" altogether correction has been made.
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bThdnEJZ20y0eStK863kcLSw7joDqKhw6THVLe2dCVQ/edit

> A very similar line appears in paragraph 5 as well.  Can you please update that one too?
Adobe decided that their product creates Web applications & we took this language from them. So, I left this word in their description.

Re: [Marketing] - Telling the world that we are a TLP...

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 11:08 AM, Guthmann, Scott <sguthmann@on3solutions.com

Posted by "Guthmann, Scott" <sg...@on3solutions.com>.
Removing "web" altogether correction has been made. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bThdnEJZ20y0eStK863kcLSw7joDqKhw6THVLe2dCVQ/edit Good catch!

Re: [Marketing] - Telling the world that we are a TLP...

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 1/9/13 10:43 AM, "Om" <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> browsers,
>> create to
>> applications...",
>>>
>>> I need help here. Is anyone else confused / concerned by the current
>> phrase?
>> I think you can drop the word "web".
>>

> To be fair, the first paragraph on our website:
> http://flex.apache.org/says exactly that.  With the term "web" in it.
>  Whatever we do, lets keep
> it consistent.
>
> Thanks,
> Om
If you're editing the site, I think you could change it there too.  AIR apps
aren't really "web" apps are they?

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Re: [Marketing] - Telling the world that we are a TLP...

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by "Guthmann, Scott" <sg...@on3solutions.com>.

Posted by jude <fl...@gmail.com>.
Scott,

On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 11:34 AM, Guthmann, Scott <sguthmann@on3solutions.com

Posted by "Guthmann, Scott" <sg...@on3solutions.com>.

Posted by "Guthmann, Scott" <sg...@on3solutions.com>.
> Open Source, cross-platform application framework for easily building and maintaining Flash®-based applications across all major browsers, desktops and devices, including smartphones, tablets and television.
I inserted "Apache Flex is an" before the Open Source.

> Also, the "on version 4.9" doesn't make sense in the following and doesn't seem necessary:
> "Code has been donated but our work isn¹t complete to include better support for Maven and better parity between mx and spark components on version 4.9,"
I deleted "on version 4.9" from the end of this sentence.

Re: [Marketing] - Telling the world that we are a TLP...

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.
I just fixed both errors on our homepage.

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 10:26 AM, Guthmann, Scott <sguthmann@on3solutions.com

Posted by "Guthmann, Scott" <sg...@on3solutions.com>.

Posted by Michael Schmalle <ap...@teotigraphix.com>.
Am I dumb or is;

"The TLF (Text Frame Framework) was updated to version 3.0.33, and is
now included in the SDK (there is no additional step required to
download it separately)"

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
Hi Scott,

I opened the document and it looked like the following before the dateline,
which doesn't make sense to me:

-----
The Apache Software Foundation Announces Apache Flex as a Top-Level Project

------

Also, the "on version 4.9" doesn't make sense in the following and doesn't
seem necessary:

"Code has been donated but our work isn¹t complete to include better support
for Maven and better parity between mx and spark components on version 4.9,"

Other than that, it looks ok.

-ALex

Posted by "Guthmann, Scott" <sg...@on3solutions.com>.

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Greg Reddin <gr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.
And just a heads up for timing -- assuming the moons align like they seem
to be, I could have the new website in place by Friday..  Maybe we can
coordinate the timing.

-Nick

On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 10:35 AM, Guthmann, Scott <sguthmann@on3solutions.com

Posted by "Guthmann, Scott" <sg...@on3solutions.com>.
>One other change you made: the last bullet here:
>"Code has been donated but our work isn¹t complete to include better support for Maven and better parity between mx and spark components on version 4.9.
>But, the work on next release of Apache Flex is already underway. Stay tuned!" - The only problem I have with this is that it is in the section
>"4.9 Enhancements" and it isn't in the 4.9 release.  Maybe put it in its own section titled "What we're working on now"?

Good catch. This is also a logical improvement to the PR. It makes the communication more clear. I am making this change and then sending this to Sally from ASF (publicity & media) I'm not sure how much work she'll need to do to our document before releasing this globally.

Posted by Greg Reddin <gr...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 9:13 AM, Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> wrote:

> It is very important that press releases be reviewed by press@a.o.
>
> Has this happened yet?

I mentioned that yesterday and Scott indicated that he's working with
Sally. So I think we're in good shape.

Greg

Re: [Marketing] - Telling the world that we are a TLP...

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
It is very important that press releases be reviewed by press@a.o.

Has this happened yet?

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by "Guthmann, Scott" <sg...@on3solutions.com>.
> OK, I read it over.  In general, I like it, although I think words are being put in my mouth...
If not you Alex, then who? What would you say if not these words?

> Anyway here's a bunch of nitpicky stuff that will reduce word count a bit.
Thanks for the feedback. Your input was added & IMO, makes the release stronger and more clear. Nice job!

>"The future releases of Apache Flex currently being worked on will include
>better support for Maven and better parity between mx and spark components."
>- Again I see this as a promise.  How about "Work on next release of Apache
>Flex is already underway."
I removed the promise but left compromise language in because of other feedback. As the releases are coming faster, this disagreement won't be important because the project will work to make the "future" a reality soon after the press release.

Re: Still incubator email ?

Posted by Frédéric THOMAS <we...@hotmail.com>.
Maybe that's  my filters that are not correct yet !?

- Fred

Posted by Frédéric THOMAS <we...@hotmail.com>.
Ok, thanks.

- Fred

I think that's a follow-on to a conversation started before the switch-over.

-Alex

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Re: Still incubator email ?

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Re: Still incubator email ?

Posted by Frédéric THOMAS <we...@hotmail.com>.
The last one from Carol:

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Re: Still incubator email ?

Posted by Frédéric THOMAS <we...@hotmail.com>.
Ok then, JIRA incubator emails are normals because you haven't got the
permission to change the address yet and the commit one was a old talk,
fair.
Thanks.

- Fred

> JIRA apparently has not been changed over.  I don't have the required
> permissions.  I have asked Infra for help.

Assume you tried here?
https://issues.apache.org/jira/plugins/servlet/project-config/FLEX/notifications

It say to mail jira@a.o to change.

I don't have permissions to change the notification address there.

Justin

Re: Still incubator email ?

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 1/7/13 4:58 PM, "Justin Mclean" <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> JIRA apparently has not been changed over.  I don't have the required
>> permissions.  I have asked Infra for help.
>
> Assume you tried here?
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/plugins/servlet/project-config/FLEX/notificatio
> ns
>
> It say to mail jira@a.o to change.
>
> I don't have permissions to change the notification address there.
>
> Justin
Yeah, I emailed jira@a.o.  Haven't heard back.  I will ping on infra@a.o
tomorrow if it still is an issue.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Re: Still incubator email ?

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Re: Still incubator email ?

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Re: Still incubator email ?

Posted by Frédéric THOMAS <we...@hotmail.com>.

Still incubator email ?

Posted by Frédéric THOMAS <we...@hotmail.com>.
Hi guys,

Just was wondering if it was normal at this stage to get some commits and
jira incubator email ?

- Fred

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 1/7/13 4:26 PM, "Justin Mclean" <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> I haven't had a chance to read through this yet, but IMO, "future
>> releases...will" is a promise.  Maybe just state what has happened which is
>> that developers have been working on Maven tools and new Spark Components.
>
> IMO In each case code is already committed in SVN so it's very likely to be in
> the next release.
Maybe, but the Maven stuff may get its own release package.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Re: [Marketing] - Telling the world that we are a TLP...

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
OK, I read it over.  In general, I like it, although I think words are being
put in my mouth...

Anyway here's a bunch of nitpicky stuff that will reduce word count a bit.
I don't have a problem with the length as the last portion is clearly
standard marketing blurbs:

"Flex, the Adobe Systems (ADBE) seeded" - IMO, 'seeded' implies that money
came with it.  How about "Flex, donated by Adobe Systems Inc. (ADBE), is an
Open Source framework for"

"We are excited to continue working to develop the Apache Flex Software
Development Kit (SDK), Installer, Mustella Testing Framework, and
Application Compiler Falcon to work together to leverage Apache Flex for
building and maintaining expressive web applications that deploy
consistently on all major browsers, desktops and devices (including
smartphones, tablets and tv),² - Yes, I'm excited, but this sounds too much
like a repeat of the first paragraph to be a believable quote.  How about:
"We are excited to continue working to develop the Apache Flex Software
Development Kit (SDK), Installer, Mustella Testing Framework, and 'Falcon'
Compiler to allow people to build better applications with better developer
productivity",

"These standards remove project risk for the manager because the language is
supported in many applications, especially web browsers, and specified
Document Object Model (DOM)." - I think this sentence is questionable.  Can
it just be dropped?

"The SDK natively supports the Flash Player versions 10.2 through 11.5." - I
don't think "natively" is the right word.  How about: "The SDK can be
compiled to work with Flash Player versions 10.2 through 11.5".

"The ³Mustella² testing framework has been improved and many tests have been
updated." - This is true, but Mustella is not in the release.  Maybe we can
just drop this?

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

RE: [Marketing] - Telling the world that we are a TLP...

Posted by "Guthmann, Scott" <sg...@on3solutions.com>.

Posted by "Guthmann, Scott" <sg...@on3solutions.com>.
> Thanks for the work! At first glance it looks good to me, but I didn't get into the details too far. We need to make sure we run it by press@apache.org.
> They will review the release and make sure it meets ASF requirements and they will help us distribute it.
I have contacted Sally K. at the ASF and received her instructions about the proper way to distribute this & getting her help. I need to make sure we have complete details in the document which are as accurate as possible prior to sending her our draft. And, thanks for the very quick help, Greg!

Re: [Marketing] - Telling the world that we are a TLP...

Posted by Greg Reddin <gr...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the work! At first glance it looks good to me, but I didn't get
into the details too far. We need to make sure we run it by press@apache.org.
They will review the release and make sure it meets ASF requirements and
they will help us distribute it.

Thanks,
Greg

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 1:53 PM, Guthmann, Scott
<sg...@on3solutions.com>wrote:

> > I see a few errors and I am trying to edit it, but I am not able to.
>  The link you sent opens up the document in 'View only' mode.  Can you
> please take a look?
> Om - I was able to duplicate this problem. When I signed into my Google
> account, then I could edit the document. Are you able to duplicate the
> issue while signed in to your Google account?

It stays in 'view only' mode even after signing in.  It looks like the
share settings are not correctly configured?

Om

RE: [Marketing] - Telling the world that we are a TLP...

Posted by "Guthmann, Scott" <sg...@on3solutions.com>.

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 1:26 PM, Guthmann, Scott
<sg...@on3solutions.com>wrote:

> I drafted a press release to announce Flex becoming a TLP and also
> announcing the new version 4.9 + installer 2.0.
>

> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bThdnEJZ20y0eStK863kcLSw7joDqKhw6THVLe2dCVQ/edit
>
> Will you please validate the technical accuracy of the DRAFT? I think
> anyone who has this link has the ability to view & edit this document. You
> must sign in to your Google account to edit it.

Looks great, Scott.  Thanks for working on this!

Posted by Carol Frampton <cf...@adobe.com>.
My general impression is there are too many words even ignoring the last
paragraphs which I'm guessing are required by Apache.  Are we sure we
shouldn't do a press release for becoming a TLP and another one for the
4.9 release?  My personal opinion is that this kind of press release needs

Posted by "Guthmann, Scott" <sg...@on3solutions.com>.

Posted by "Guthmann, Scott" <sg...@on3solutions.com>.
> Some notes. I'm sure this can be expanded/ improved upon.
Thank you for the help, Justin. IMO, the reason to do a press release is to engage business managers outside of software development. So, it is important  to remove [or explain] all the lingo that only a developer would understand. For a developer only audience, blogs are just fine & no PR would be needed.

> We've just released version 4.9 of Apache Flex and 2.0 of the Apache Flex IDE Installer. Both were worked on by many members of Apache Flex PMC, commiters and the wider community. Justin Mclean was the release manager for Apache Flex 4.9 SDK >and OmPrakash Muppirala was the release manager for the Apache Flex IDE installer.
What does a [software development toolkit] SDK and a [Integrated Development Environment] IDE allow a business manager to do - Save time? Save money? Become more competitive in the marketplace?

> Why should current application owners upgrade their existing Adobe Flex applications to the community release?
>Apache Flex is now a top level Apache Software Foundation project and as such gain access to all the resources and support that other Apache top level projects (TLP) do. There are a growing number of Apache Flex committers.
What are the resources and support that I will gain access to as a business manager because Apache Flex is now a TLP? How have other Apache TLPs saved money, saved time, and/or become more competitive in the marketplace by gaining access to these resources and support? Which companies are the top level projects that have experienced these wonderful benefits?

> What capabilities does the Apache Flex release 4.9 have for business managers and developers that Adobe Flex 4.6 does not?
>The 4.9 release contains several important bug fixes, improved internationalisation support (including new locales) and allows the Apache Flex SDK to be used on a wide range of Adobe Flash players and more recent versions of Apache AIR. See the >release notes for more information.
What are the bugs that were fixed & how have these bug fixes removed risks from my project? Are there other known bugs that haven't been fixed?
Does the internationalisation support (including new locales) give me access to new markets that I couldn't access before? Which ones? Would it have been expensive or time consuming to develop custom applications prior to this release?
Which devices, players, and screens does Apache Flex currently target and which does is skip? Why won't custom software run on any device of my choice? Can business managers choose other development languages that would be less expensive to develop in or that would target a wider variety of technologies than Apache Flex targets?

> Apache AIR
Is this a real technology or a typo?

>The next release of Apache Flex  currently being worked on will include better support for Maven and better parity between mx and spark components.
What's this: " better support for Maven and better parity between mx and spark components" and how would this save me time, money, or make my firm more competitive in the marketplace?

Re: [Marketing] - Telling the world that we are a TLP...

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> *Maven*

Yep sprung -  you can tell i don't use it :-)

Justin

Re: [Marketing] - Telling the world that we are a TLP...

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Jan 6, 2013 4:42 PM, "Justin Mclean" <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Some notes. I'm sure this can be expanded/ improved upon.
>
> I think there's two important bits of news - becoming a top level project
and the 4.9 release.

> > What has just been released, by who, & how was the work done?
>
> We've just released version 4.9 of Apache Flex and 2.0 of the Apache Flex
IDE Installer. Both were worked on by many members of Apache Flex PMC,
commiters and the wider community. Justin Mclean was the release manager
for Apache Flex 4.9 SDK and OmPrakash Muppirala was the release manager for
the Apache Flex IDE installer.

> > Why should current application owners upgrade their existing Adobe Flex
applications to the community release?

> Apache Flex is now a top level Apache Software Foundation project and as
such gain access to all the resources and support that other Apache top
level projects do. There are a growing number of Apache Flex commiters.

> Apache Flex 4.9 is open source and licensed under the Apache 2.0 license.
The software can be freely used for commercial use, can be modified,
distributed and sub-licenced as long as the in original license is included
and all trademarks are respected.

> Support for Apache Flex is provided by the community via the Apache Flex
mailing lists.

> > What capabilities does the Apache Flex release 4.9 have for business
managers and developers that Adobe Flex 4.6 does not?

> The 4.9 release contains several important bug fixes, improved
internationalisation support (including new locales) and allows the Apache
Flex SDK to be used on a wide range of Adpbe Flash players and more recent
versions of Apache AIR. See the release notes for more information.

> The next release of Apache Flex  currently being worked on will include
better support for Mavin and better parity between mx and spark components.

> Thanks,
> Justin

*Maven*

Re: [Marketing] - Telling the world that we are a TLP...

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Some notes. I'm sure this can be expanded/ improved upon.

I think there's two important bits of news - becoming a top level project and the 4.9 release.

> What has just been released, by who, & how was the work done?

We've just released version 4.9 of Apache Flex and 2.0 of the Apache Flex IDE Installer. Both were worked on by many members of Apache Flex PMC, commiters and the wider community. Justin Mclean was the release manager for Apache Flex 4.9 SDK and OmPrakash Muppirala was the release manager for the Apache Flex IDE installer.

> Why should current application owners upgrade their existing Adobe Flex applications to the community release?

Apache Flex is now a top level Apache Software Foundation project and as such gain access to all the resources and support that other Apache top level projects do. There are a growing number of Apache Flex commiters.

Apache Flex 4.9 is open source and licensed under the Apache 2.0 license. The software can be freely used for commercial use, can be modified, distributed and sub-licenced as long as the in original license is included and all trademarks are respected.

Support for Apache Flex is provided by the community via the Apache Flex mailing lists.

> What capabilities does the Apache Flex release 4.9 have for business managers and developers that Adobe Flex 4.6 does not?

The 4.9 release contains several important bug fixes, improved internationalisation support (including new locales) and allows the Apache Flex SDK to be used on a wide range of Adpbe Flash players and more recent versions of Apache AIR. See the release notes for more information.

The next release of Apache Flex  currently being worked on will include better support for Mavin and better parity between mx and spark components.

Thanks,
Justin