Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Kay Abendroth <ka...@raxion.net> on 2003/08/11 19:27:50 UTC

How can I delete a repository? Just 'rm *'?

	Hi,

I'm using Subversion since a couple of month and everything works fine.
But now I have a question, because I want to restructure my repository
layout:

"How can I delete my existing repository, which I created with 'svnadmin
create /usr/local/svn/repository/', in a clean way? Is a simple 'rm *'
all I have to do?"

Ciao.
Kay

Re: How can I delete a repository? Just 'rm *'?

Posted by Michael Wood <mw...@its.uct.ac.za>.
On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 10:21:00PM +0200, Kay Abendroth wrote:
> No, I want to recreate the repository with 'svnadmin create
> ...Project1', 'svnadmin create ...Project2' to avoid revision number
[snip]

You might be able to keep your history by using svnadmin dump,
svndumpfilter and svnadmin load.  svndumpfilter can be used to filter
out certain paths in the dump file, so you could use it to convert your
dump file into only Project1 related stuff and load that into a new
repository.  Then do the same for the other projects.  This may be
complicated depending on how your current repository is structured,
though.

I think there will be gaps in the revisions, though.

[snip]
> "Clean" means to me, that after this 'rm' nothing will be left from my
> "old" repository, as I wouldn't have created it. So my question was in
> particular, if Subversion stores repository information at an other
> location, too.

Well, Subversion doesn't keep any information about the repository
anywhere else, except in the working copy.  But you could have
references to the old repository in your httpd.conf, which you would,
obviously, need to fix.

--
Michael Wood <mw...@its.uct.ac.za>

Re: How can I delete a repository? Just 'rm *'?

Posted by Kay Abendroth <ka...@raxion.net>.
Thank you for this quick respone.

Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:

> Kay Abendroth <ka...@raxion.net> writes:
>

>>	Hi,
>>
>>I'm using Subversion since a couple of month and everything works
>>fine. But now I have a question, because I want to restructure my
>>repository layout:
>

> If you want to restructure your repository, use 'svn mv URL1 URL2'.

No, I want to recreate the repository with 'svnadmin create
...Project1', 'svnadmin create ...Project2' to avoid revision number
changes between two completely different projects. If I would create
only one repository, via 'svnadmin create ...' and then import two
projects, changes in project 1 would increase the revision number, which
is also the revision number of project 2. So maybe project 2 will have
revision number 11 even if nothing was changed in this project, but in
project 1.

Posted by Michael Wood <mw...@its.uct.ac.za>.
On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 02:30:08PM -0500, Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:
> Kay Abendroth <ka...@raxion.net> writes:
[snip]
> > "How can I delete my existing repository, which I created with
> > 'svnadmin create /usr/local/svn/repository/', in a clean way? Is a
> > simple 'rm *' all I have to do?"
>
> What does 'clean' mean?  'rm -rf repository' will indeed delete your
> entire repository.  Were you expecting some other behavior?

"rm -r repository" works just fine.  No need for "-f" and I feel that
use of "-f" when it's not necessary is a bad habbit :)

--
Michael Wood <mw...@its.uct.ac.za>

Re: How can I delete a repository? Just 'rm *'?

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.