Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Steven Pannell <st...@zooplus.com> on 2005/05/02 16:04:42 UTC

Unique Session ID's - are they really generated?

Hi,

On some application servers I have used in the past when you shut them down
and restarted the server it was possible that duplicate session ID's were
generated matching those in a previously running instance of the server.

Does anyone know if tomcat really has Unique Session ID creation.  That is I
leave tomcat running for a week. Stop it.  Start it.  Is it possible that a
duplication session ID will be created in my new running instance that
matches a session ID created in my previous running instance.

I just want to know does tomcat really guarantee unique Session ID's even
over shutdown and start ups??

Thanks,
Steve.

RE: Unique Session ID's - are they really generated?

Posted by George Sexton <gs...@mhsoftware.com>.
It sounds like you are talking about IIS, where the session ID was the
memory handle to the session object....

George Sexton
MH Software, Inc.
http://www.mhsoftware.com/

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@MIT.EDU>.
Hi,

> Does anyone know if tomcat really has Unique Session ID creation.  That is
> leave tomcat running for a week. Stop it.  Start it.  Is it possible that
> duplication session ID will be created in my new running instance that
> matches a session ID created in my previous running instance.

It's possible, but exceedingly unlikely.  You can go over the implementation
yourself (the beauty of open-source ;)).  But even if you don't want to do
that, make sure to read
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.5-doc/config/manager.html.  Note
that by configuring some of the Manager parameters discussed on this page,
such as "entropy," every time you restart the server, you can further reduce
duplicate session ID probability.

Alternatively, if you're really paranoid about this, simply extend the
existing manager with one that keeps track of past session IDs, and does not
issue them ever again ;)

Yoav Shapira
System Design and Management Fellow
MIT Sloan School of Management / School of Engineering
Cambridge, MA USA
yoavsh@sloan.mit.edu / yoavs@computer.org