Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com> on 2006/09/24 21:11:41 UTC

Re: [CONF] Apache Geronimo Knowledge Base: Indice (page created)

I think it is a bad idea to have some many languages in the wiki.

Wiki is meant to allow one person to go in and add content or change
it... by having these language specific sections of the wiki it means
that one person can not really do that anymore.

For example, I have absolutely no plans to update any of the KB items
in any other language other than english... same goes for build
documentation and other docs.

If we did want to add multiple languages, then we need a system that
will handle switching the language and content based on the users
browser, which confluence does not.

But even then I think that for semi-dynamic content like wiki
pages... that this is a very bad idea and will almost always lead to
the content getting out of sync.

I would much, much, much prefer that the english pages get cleaned up
and have more quality content added, then to try and get the existing
pages into more languages.

--jason

Posted by Heinz Drews <he...@gmail.com>.
Hello Jason,

I'm a little bit shocked by your message.
How should Geronimo find good acceptance when it is restricted to an english
speaking community only?
It will be then always stay behind JBoss where the establishment of an
international supporter base was very successful.

If it is difficult to synchronize the content then the product used to run
the wiki is the problem not that members of the community want to use a
different language then English.
The wiki content will never be stable enough to define a point when the
translation should begin.
I think that I would be possible that there will be content in other
languages with out a counterpart in english.

Hoping that my concerns are understood correctly,
Heinz

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.
My main concern would be that I'd never know if the docs were out of
date because I would't be able to read the page.

I'd be fine with (and happy to see) translations, if:
 * We take care to keep the pages for each language separate so a
reader doesn't wander back and forth
 * Every page says exactly what version of Geronimo it targets

We might also ask the author to include a link on the page to report
out-of-date content, but I'm not sure what we could really do with
that, since we may find it difficult to maintain ourselves.  In any
case, we might consider creating a standard page header block that
would capture key information like the version of Geronimo the page
was written for.

As foreign-language pages were written, it might be nice to ask the
authors to be on call as reviewers for other pages in that language,
so we had someone we could ask to review other pages for
foreign-language spam, etc.

Thanks,
     Aaron

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.
On 9/25/06, Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> Would it help if we requested that each translation include a statement
> (appropriately translated of course) at the top of each document that
> said something like the following?
>
> "Please note that the primary documentation for Geronimo is captured and
> maintained in English.  Therefore, this translation to <language> may be
> out of date.  If something doesn't appear to be correct or just isn't
> working then please consult the English documentation."

+1

Where would we like it to be described as a rule?

I'm definitely for people who find their time contributing to Geronimo
in any way, translating or even writing Geronimo docs on their own,
including. Instead of complaining on the difference between the
English-written documentation and other translations, we should
encourage people to keep looking at the main documentation in English
or ask the dev/user mailing lists. I'm pretty sure that natural
selection will take place and a better documentation wins.

> Is that too confusing or politically incorrect?

Nie. (Polish 'no')

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.laskowski.net.pl

Re: [CONF] Apache Geronimo Knowledge Base: Indice (page created)

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.
On Sep 24, 2006, at 10:30 PM, Joe Bohn wrote:

> Would it help if we requested that each translation include a
> statement (appropriately translated of course) at the top of each
> document that said something like the following?
>
> "Please note that the primary documentation for Geronimo is
> captured and maintained in English.  Therefore, this translation to
> <language> may be out of date.  If something doesn't appear to be
> correct or just isn't working then please consult the English
> documentation."

Si

> I'm sure that could be reworded ... but you get the general idea.

Da

> Is that too confusing or politically incorrect?

Nein

> Joe

Matt Hogstrom
matt@hogstrom.org

Re: [CONF] Apache Geronimo Knowledge Base: Indice (page created)

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net>.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.