Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Shawn Dahlen <sm...@syr.edu> on 2001/06/25 22:51:24 UTC

Turbine Application Service

Hello -

I've been following the Turbine project for a few months now, and I am
in the
process of creating an web community platform that relies on Turbine as
the
web application framework.

My current thoughts are as follows:

The web community platform would consist of a Turbine-based web
application
called "community".  It seems as though the Jetspeed project currently
fills this
role, however I do not have much experience with the project.  Now, I
would
like developers to create sub-applications that can plug into this
community
application and seamlessly integrate with one another.

One could imagine logging into the "community", where upon log in,
numerous
services (sub-applications) would be offered such as message boards,
scheduling, and file management.

These sub-applications would reduce the learning curve in building web
applications,
solve the namespace problem for modules, and take advantage of community
functionality such as congregation, inter-community communication, and
lookup.

The proposed Turbine Application Service seems as though it will allow
me to
carry out this vision.  What is the current status on this work if any,
and what are people's
ideas on this.  I would love to contribute to this area.  I've looked
through the archives and
this topic seems to occasionally be brought up.

Jetspeed's ApplicationPortlet could possibly be an answer as well,
although I think the
web application framework should hold this functionality.

Thoughts?

Shawn Dahlen