Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Jan Morlock <ja...@googlemail.com> on 2013/05/15 23:33:05 UTC

Sorting facets by relevance

Hi,

we are using faceted search for our queries. However neither sorting by
count nor sorting by index as described in [1] is suitable for our business
case. Instead, we would like to have the facets (or at least the beginning
of them) sorted by the score of the top document possessing the
corresponding facet. The expected behaviour can be compared to what the
result grouping feature does (see [2]).

I am currently thinking about the following strategy:
(1) Create a new search component
(2) Perform a sub-query using grouping
(3) Use the result of this sub-query in order to sort the facets of the
actual query.

Currently step no. 2 seems to be pretty difficult. Can anybody point a me to
an example, where a sub-query is performed in order to retrieve the groups?
Or does anybody have a better/easier strategy for achieving this?

Any help is appreciated.
Thank you very much in advance.

Best regards
Jan

[1]: http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SimpleFacetParameters#facet.sort
[2]: http://wiki.apache.org/solr/FieldCollapsing

Re: Sorting facets by relevance

Posted by Mikhail Khludnev <mk...@griddynamics.com>.
There is Lucene faceting module, which doesn't do anything in common with
Solr, but it looks like it has something what you are looking for.
http://shaierera.blogspot.com/2012/11/lucene-facets-part-1.html

On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 1:33 AM, Jan Morlock <ja...@googlemail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> we are using faceted search for our queries. However neither sorting by
> count nor sorting by index as described in [1] is suitable for our business
> case. Instead, we would like to have the facets (or at least the beginning
> of them) sorted by the score of the top document possessing the
> corresponding facet. The expected behaviour can be compared to what the
> result grouping feature does (see [2]).
>
> I am currently thinking about the following strategy:
> (1) Create a new search component
> (2) Perform a sub-query using grouping
> (3) Use the result of this sub-query in order to sort the facets of the
> actual query.
>
> Currently step no. 2 seems to be pretty difficult. Can anybody point a me
> an example, where a sub-query is performed in order to retrieve the groups?
> Or does anybody have a better/easier strategy for achieving this?
>
> Any help is appreciated.
> Thank you very much in advance.
>
> Best regards
> Jan