Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by Matam Mruthyunjaya Swamy <mr...@volvo.com> on 2022/01/14 08:40:09 UTC

ActiveMQ - Oracle JRE License

Hi Team ,

Greetings !!!!!

We have an  application built on .NET tech stack but we also have used a Message-oriented middleware (MOM) software " ActiveMQ"  for the communication between the services . Oracle JRE is a pre-requite for ActiveMQ but Oracle JRE is no more a free software and so how does the licensing work . Can some one help me with the below queries ?

  *   Does the ActiveMQ license cover the Oracle JRE license terms ?
  *   Do we need to buy the license for Oracle JRE (Or) it can be used with ActiveMQ without buying a license?
  *   Can we use Redhat Open JRE instead of Oracle JRE for ActiveMQ usage?

Thanks & Regards,
Swamy

This email message (including its attachments) is confidential and may contain privileged information and is intended solely for the use of the individual and/or entity to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail you may not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail (including its attachments), or any part thereof. If this e-mail is received in error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and make sure that this e-mail (including its attachments), and all copies thereof, are immediately deleted from your system. Please further note that when you communicate with us via email or visit our website we process your personal data. See our privacy policy for more information about how we process it: https://www.volvogroup.com/en-en/privacy.html

Re: ActiveMQ - Oracle JRE License

Posted by Justin Bertram <jb...@apache.org>.
> Oracle JRE is a pre-requite for ActiveMQ...

Oracle JRE is not, in fact, a prerequisite for ActiveMQ.

> Does the ActiveMQ license cover the Oracle JRE license terms?

No. The license used by ActiveMQ is the Apache License 2.0 [1]. It has
nothing to do with any JRE license or any Oracle license of any kind.

> Do we need to buy the license for Oracle JRE (Or) it can be used with
ActiveMQ without buying a license?

The license for your JRE (whether it's from Oracle or a different
organization) is completely separate from ActiveMQ.

> Can we use Redhat Open JRE instead of Oracle JRE for ActiveMQ usage?

Yes. You can, in fact, use any JRE you want given it provides the required
Java APIs. Currently the latest versions of ActiveMQ "Classic" require at
least Java 8. The latest version of ActiveMQ Artemis (i.e. 2.20.0) requires
Java 11.

Justin

[1] http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0