Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Ce...@aol.com on 2012/08/16 02:48:00 UTC

NewWikiMainPage

Hello,
I am trying to determine if there is an OpenOffice equivalent to MS
Publisher.
Thank you,
Anne K,

Re: NewWikiMainPage

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 22:47:34 -0400
Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 8:48 PM,  <Ce...@aol.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I am trying to determine if there is an OpenOffice equivalent to MS
> > Publisher.
>
> OpenOffice Draw has some desktop publishing features.  You could try
> that.  Or depending on your needs another open source option is
> Scribus:
>
> http://www.scribus.net/canvas/Scribus
>
> Regards,
>
> -Rob
>
> > Thank you,
> > Anne K,

It depends how complex your DTP needs are.  For layout of a book of mostly text, OpenOffice will do a very good job quite easily (Pace typesetting purists!).  For more complex layouts with many illustrations/tables etc, reports vary - some succeed, some don't.  If you are trying to do cutting edge graphical book layout you should certainly look elsewhere.

In any case, a stable computer and a regular backup policy is a necessity.  On any substantial work I am doing, I back up morning and evening under time stamped copies.  Fortunately I have never had rely on a backup (3500 edits on each of two substabtial works over four years), but there are many reports of work being wiped out at the eleventh hou, for reasons not yet clear.

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: NewWikiMainPage

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.