Posted to dev@openjpa.apache.org by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM> on 2007/03/21 21:54:59 UTC

Roadmap for OpenJPA

Hi,

Now that OpenJPA is maturing into a well-rounded community with lots
of users as well as developers, I think it's time we start thinking
about formalizing a roadmap for the project.

Patrick did a great job in looking at all the JIRA issues and
proposing release numbers that the issues might fall into (thanks!)
but I think we need a bit more.

I'd like to see a single page "OpenJPA Roadmap" that we can publish
that represents more than a list of issues that we think need to be
fixed. It doesn't need to be completely detailed at this point, but I
think there is value in the process of putting it together.

If I don't get pushback, in the spirit of "do-ocracy" I'll put
together a straw proposal and see where it goes from here.

Craig Russell
DB PMC, OpenJPA PPMC
clr@apache.org http://db.apache.org/jdo

Re: Roadmap for OpenJPA

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.
On Mar 22, 2007, at 8:34 AM, Kevin Sutter wrote:

> Craig,
> I like the idea of putting together a roadmap.  I had started this
> conversation with Patrick earlier this week, so your timing is
> perfect.
>
> Concerning the 0.9.7 release...  I would like to "shut down" the
> development
> of this release somewhat soon.  We have produced so many CTS-related,
> performance-related, and functional-related fixes since 0.9.6, I
> think we
> need a refresh.  Many users will only pull the "official" releases and
> 0.9.6doesn't give them a good feel of the overall capabilities.

+10000

-dain

Re: Roadmap for OpenJPA

Posted by Kevin Sutter <kw...@gmail.com>.
Craig,
I like the idea of putting together a roadmap.  I had started this
conversation with Patrick earlier this week, so your timing is perfect.

Concerning the 0.9.7 release...  I would like to "shut down" the development
of this release somewhat soon.  We have produced so many CTS-related,
performance-related, and functional-related fixes since 0.9.6, I think we
need a refresh.  Many users will only pull the "official" releases and
0.9.6doesn't give them a good feel of the overall capabilities.

Looking at the list of Issues still targeted for 0.9.7, maybe we need to do
another scrub to find out which ones are truly required for 0.9.7.  Maybe we
could set up a deadline or goal within a couple of weeks to either resolve
these Issues or move them out to 0.9.8 (or 1.0).

When Marc completed the 0.9.6 release, I was volunteered to do the next
release as a test of Marc's instructions.  Since I would expect a little bit
of a bumpy road with this process (since it's my first time), I would like
to get started on it soon.

Just a few thoughts as we ponder this roadmap activity...

Thanks,
Kevin

Re: Roadmap for OpenJPA

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.