Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Ski Gh3 <sk...@gmail.com> on 2008/10/01 00:41:44 UTC

rowupdate timestamp

Hi all,

I have a question regarding the timestamp of an operation.
So if one does not supply anything, the region server will use
CurrentMilliSecond call to obtain the timestamp from the running machine,
right?
Then what happens if this region is reassigned to some other server which
has a different system time? it could result in later updates having earlier
timestamps.

I read from the cluster setup guide that the region servers can not have
time off by 1hour or more but they don't need to be strictly aligned. Then
is there any guarantee
on this issue?

Thanks!

RE: rowupdate timestamp

Posted by "Jim Kellerman (POWERSET)" <Ji...@microsoft.com>.

Yet. See HBASE-711. However, any server cluster should run NNTPD IMO.

Re: rowupdate timestamp

Posted by Ski Gh3 <sk...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the answer!

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 4:15 PM, Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org>wrote:

> Well in the API main page it is said "some skew" and not "1 hour". If this
> is the case elsewhere, please report it.

I do not remember exactly now, maybe I was confused.

Re: rowupdate timestamp

Posted by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org>.