Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Patricia Willard <pa...@virginmedia.com> on 2013/02/11 10:31:13 UTC

Security

I am a bit confused about some strange behaviour on your site. I was
playing a game downloaded from MSN. The game suddenly minimised and left a
notice on my screen purporting to come from Open Office asking me to
register by entering my full name and initials. When I did so I got a
security message saying 'This is not what you are looking for. You
attempted to reach registration2.services.openoffice.org but instead
reached a site identifying itself as *.apache.org'  I have now registered
in the normal way.Can you explain why this happened? Regards

Re: Security

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Patricia Willard wrote:
> notice on my screen purporting to come from Open Office asking me to
> register by entering my full name and initials. When I did so I got a
> security message saying 'This is not what you are looking for. You
> attempted to reach registration2.services.openoffice.org but instead
> reached a site identifying itself as *.apache.org'  I have now registered
> in the normal way.Can you explain why this happened?

Dear Patricia, user registration has been removed in the latest
OpenOffice versions (I don't know where you registered, actually!), i.e.
3.4.0 and 3.4.1.

The behavior you experienced is normal for someone who tried to register
the obsolete version 3.3.0, now pointing at legacy registration pages.

I recommend that you install OpenOffice 3.4.1 from the official website
http://www.openoffice.org/download/

Regards,
   Andrea.