Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org> on 2006/04/18 19:42:14 UTC

Re: JMimeMagic (was [fileUpload] file content-type)

On 4/18/06, Mark <el...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I would love to do a fork-release and create a commons project.  I
> wonder if the jmimemagic author would be offended though...

That's not possible. Since  JMimeMagic is LGPL, any modifications must
result in a library that is also LGPL. As part of the ASF, all Commons
components must have the Apache License.

I do think something along the same lines as JMimeMagic would make a good
Commons component (unless we already have one lurking somewhere that I'm not
aware of). If someone happens to know either of the authors and would like
to open a dialogue with them about either changing the license or possibly
coming to the ASF, I think that would be worthwhile.

--
Martin Cooper

Posted by Mark <el...@gmail.com>.
I would really like to start a commons project.  It is something that
I have wanted to do for some time. I will try and contact the author..

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
Right. There are legal bits and policy bits entwined here.

The ASF doesn't distribute software under licences other than the ASL.
It's not a solid policy - but I doubt we'll ever stretch it to involve
us shipping under strong copyleft licences. As with any group of 1000+
people, we don't agree on much, but we do largely seem to prefer the
gift style of BSD licence (makes sense, wouldn't be here otherwise).

We can't legally change the licence on the code - so wouldn't be able
to take a fork into Commons (for example). The original author(s)
would need to relicence (to BSD/MIT/ASL equivalents), or we would need
to start afresh.

Cliff Schmidt has outlined a solid policy for us
(http://people.apache.org/~cliffs/3party.html). It's still getting
agreed upon (and argued upon), but now that I think about it, that
actually would allow us to depend on JMimeMagic. We wouldn't be able
to ship it with our fileupload binary etc, but we don't ship
dependencies with our binaries anyway.

Hen

Posted by "Brian K. Wallace" <br...@transmorphix.com>.

Re: JMimeMagic (was [fileUpload] file content-type)

Posted by Mark <el...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Brian K. Wallace" <br...@transmorphix.com>.

Re: JMimeMagic (was [fileUpload] file content-type)

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
Definitely - you can always redistribute LGPL/GPL with or without your
changes, provided you adhere by the licence (which basically means
provide the source).

Always best to try and work with the original project of course -
provided the original author is still reading email and they didn't
host the project on a personal site (making it hard for you to do the
same).

That's one advantage of tigris/savannah/apache/sourceforge. Others can
pick it up - shame Sourceforge is so damn slow :) Anyone tried out
their SVN yet?

Hen

Posted by Sven Schliesing <sv...@schliesing.de>.