Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by ap...@nevelsteen.com on 2004/11/27 13:34:38 UTC

XML + XSD + XSLT

I bid both of the development lists, Hello!

I would like to inform to a functionality that I don't think
is present in the parsers that are available. I have looked
through Xerces and Xalan and I have not found the functionality
that I am looking for. Maybe I am overlooking it.

I would like to obtain a SAX sort of callback interface while
transforming an XML file with an XSL. I would like to know exactly
which node I am on for each <xsl:value-of> for example.
Even just one callback function at every begin and end tag would
suffice, I believe.

Also I would like to know if it is possible to obtain with a certain
function, how a certain XML field is defined in an XSD?
Or, for example that when an XSD is supplied and I try to write
date to the DOM that I get an exception if the data doesn't correlate
to the supplied XSD. Both querying the type and the exception at input
would be a godsend.
(Sorry I haven't dug very deep into this last one to see if Xerces has it)

Best Regards,
-KiM

Re: XML + XSD + XSLT

Posted by Brian Minchau <mi...@ca.ibm.com>.

KiM,
have a look at:
    http://xml.apache.org/xalan-j/usagepatterns.html
in the middle of that page is "Debugger Interface".
TraceListener is an interface that you can implement.
Then you can register your listener and get notified with a different
events.

For example you get notified of a "selection" event
when during stylesheet processing that a select="..." attribute on an XSL
stylesheet element
is processed.

Brian Minchau
XSLT Development, IBM Toronto