Posted to users@solr.apache.org by Dmytro Kinakh <d....@internetdevels.com> on 2021/10/25 15:12:10 UTC

Fwd: Is there a strict instruction hot to establish backups on S3 from Solr instance (8.10.1 version)

Hi there,

I’m, new in solr so let me know in case I’m missing anything here.

I’m following this guide but no luck so far -
https://solr.apache.org/guide/8_10/making-and-restoring-backups.html .

So, that I’ve did at the moment

In  solr.xml I’ve added backup section

  <backup>

    <repository name="s3" class="org.apache.solr.s3.S3BackupRepository"
default="false">

      <str name="s3.bucket.name">solr-backups</str>

      <str name="s3.region">us-east-1</str>

    </repository>

  </backup>

After that, I’ve added S3 plugin (via ansible as I do with the rest of the
things usually)

- name: Copy SOLR S3 module to server

  copy:

    src: /opt/solr/dist/solr-s3-repository-8.10.1.jar

    dest: /opt/solr/server/solr-webapp/webapp/WEB-INF/lib

    owner: solr

    group: solr

    remote_src: yes

  become_user: root

And finally, I’m trying to load that plugin in  solrconfig.xml

<lib dir="/opt/solr/server/solr-webapp/webapp/WEB-INF/lib"
regex="solr-s3-repository-\d.*\.jar" />

To test backups I’m running the following commands (do a backup and ensure
it’s was created properly)

http://MY-SERVER.us-east-1.elb.amazonaws.com:8983/solr/schools/replication?command=backup
<http://my-server.us-east-1.elb.amazonaws.com:8983/solr/schools/replication?command=backup>

http://MY-SERVER.us-east-1.elb.amazonaws.com:8983/solr/schools/replication?command=details&wt=xml
<http://my-server.us-east-1.elb.amazonaws.com:8983/solr/schools/replication?command=details&wt=xml>

But after this (backup is ~200MB) I don’t see anything in my S3. I also
don’t see any logs under logging section that something failed in terms of
backup upload to my bucket.

Are there any other steps I’ve missed? At least I’m expecting that there
will be a message that something failed while trying to create a backup.

Best regards,
Dmytro Kinakh