Posted to torque-user@db.apache.org by David Urbansky <da...@googlemail.com> on 2009/11/09 16:25:13 UTC

Connection parameter

Hello,

I am using torque-gen 3.3 to generate the java model for the database (ant
-f build-torque.xml). I know that it is possible to generate methods for the
Base classes that also allow a connection parameter but I can not find the
setting for that. So what I want is this:

public void getABC(String t) {
}

AND also

public void getABC(String t, Connection conn) {
}

After generating the model I only have the first method without the
connection parameter, does anybody know what I have to do to get the second
method with the conneciton parameter too?

Thank you very much,
          David

RE: Connection parameter

Posted by Greg Monroe <Gr...@dukece.com>.
Not exactly sure what you are trying to do here.. but in general, the
Base classes are simply data containers.  The Peer classes are the
ones that fill the Base classes.  These have methods that take will
take a connection object.  The one exception to this is the Base save
method which can take a connection E.g., using some java5 style code...

Connection conn = Torque.getConnection("dbConnectionName");
Criteria c = new Criteria();
c.add(MyTablePeer.ColA, 1);
List<MyTable> results = doSelect(c, conn);

That said, if you're trying to add a "load" type function to the base
class.  You can do this by using code like that above and then
populating the object from the results.

FWIW, I tend to consider stuff like this part of the business logic
and make a quick wrapper class in a different package.  E.g. an
internal MyTable property that is used with get and set methods. This
will have different "load" or constructors to populate it.  The
advantage to this is that if your business logic or DB structure
changes so that the Foo object now need to be a combo of info from
different tables, it's easy to modify this object and all other code
still works.

DukeCE Privacy Statement:
strictly prohibited.