Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Nicolas Lalevée <ni...@hibnet.org> on 2009/07/15 10:54:35 UTC

Re: Ivy site and old versions

let's undig an old thread,

I may have a solution to this. I recently added a feature in xookie so that
an entry in the toc can be absolute url rather than a document in the tree.
So we can probably use it to leverage the size the toc on both Ivy and
IvyDE websites.

I suggest we don't import the subtree of any version of the documentation
in the history menu and use urls that point to an "external" toc. For
instance history/2.x/2.1.x/2.1.0-rc1 will be an url to
http://ant.apache.org/ivy/history/2.x/2.1.x/2.1.0-rc1/index.html, and on
that last page we will see only the toc of the 2.1.0-rc1 documentation.
And the only subtree we would import would be the documentation of the
latest milestone, the documentation which is not in the history subtree.

Then each time we release a new version, we will:
* add in the history a entry for the new version
* generate the subtree for that new history entry
* update the latest milestone svn:external
* regenerate the entire website, which won't include any of the
documentation in the history

WDYT?

And Maarten, if you can hold up for few days the deployment of the Ivy
release, I can have this implemented so you will have less pain while
updating the site (you will beta-test that new process thought ;) ).

Nicolas

Re: Ivy site and old versions

Posted by Maarten Coene <ma...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks Nicolas,

I've deployed the website for Ivy 2.1.0-rc2, and it was much easier (and faster) indeed :-)
We'll have to wait some hours before the result will become visible on http://ant.apache.org/ivy

btw, I'll send the announcement of the new Ivy release when the new site will be online...

regards,
Maarten

Posted by Nicolas Lalevée <ni...@hibnet.org>.

Re: Ivy site and old versions

Posted by Nicolas Lalevée <ni...@hibnet.org>.

Re: Ivy site and old versions

Posted by Maarten Coene <ma...@yahoo.com>.
Excellent idea!

Re: Ivy site and old versions

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.
2009/7/15 Nicolas Lalevée <ni...@hibnet.org>

> let's undig an old thread,
>
> I may have a solution to this. I recently added a feature in xookie so that
> an entry in the toc can be absolute url rather than a document in the tree.
> So we can probably use it to leverage the size the toc on both Ivy and
> IvyDE websites.
>
> I suggest we don't import the subtree of any version of the documentation
> in the history menu and use urls that point to an "external" toc. For
> instance history/2.x/2.1.x/2.1.0-rc1 will be an url to
> http://ant.apache.org/ivy/history/2.x/2.1.x/2.1.0-rc1/index.html, and on
> that last page we will see only the toc of the 2.1.0-rc1 documentation.
> And the only subtree we would import would be the documentation of the
> latest milestone, the documentation which is not in the history subtree.
>
> Then each time we release a new version, we will:
> * add in the history a entry for the new version
> * generate the subtree for that new history entry
> * update the latest milestone svn:external
> * regenerate the entire website, which won't include any of the
> documentation in the history
>
> WDYT?

Excellent idea Nicolas! A big +1 for this change!

Xavier