Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by SAtalk Mail User <sa...@thebuc.com> on 2004/09/30 02:37:51 UTC

Upgrading SpamAsssassin from 2.64 to 3.0.0

Hello All,

I have a, possibly, easy question.  I have SpamAssassin 2.64 with a ton
of the rules that you have at rules emporium, and man they work great, but
I am wanting to upgrade my Spamassassin from 2.64 to 3.0.0, the latest via
CPAN.  I was wondering if during upgrade via CPAN if there was anything that
I might need to be aware of, I do not want to loose SpamAssassin, since it
does the job I need it to do 100% of the time.

I just want to upgrade via CPAN and have the upgrade be flawless, is that
possible or do I need to do anything special.

Thanks

SATALK Admin

Re: Upgrading SpamAsssassin from 2.64 to 3.0.0

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@comcast.net>.
At 07:37 PM 9/29/2004 -0500, SAtalk Mail User wrote:
>I have a, possibly, easy question.  I have SpamAssassin 2.64 with a ton
>of the rules that you have at rules emporium, and man they work great, but
>I am wanting to upgrade my Spamassassin from 2.64 to 3.0.0, the latest via
>CPAN.

1) delete antidrug.cf if you use it, SA 3.0 includes it.
2) delete the .cf files referencing any spamcopURI rules, SA 3.0 has this
built in, but handles it differently.
3) Read the UPGRADE file, and change or comment out any outdated config
options which might be in your local.cf or user_prefs:
http://spamassassin.apache.org/full/3.0.x/dist/UPGRADE

I'd also suggest moving *everything* out of /etc/mail/spamassassin on a
temporary basis, then move the files back later. This will ensure a nice
clean upgrade which passes make test.

After the update:
1) run sa-learn --sync to upgrade your bayes DB format
2) run spamassassin --lint
3) move the files you moved out of /etc/mail/spamassassin back a few at a
time and run --lint between batches to make sure it's happy.