Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Sonam Chauhan <so...@ce.com.au> on 2007/09/05 05:03:31 UTC

Intermittent truncated logfile - non-GUI mode

Hello -

Just requesting help with a strange intermittent failure in JMeter.

Every few days, a JMeter testcase (always the same testcase) run by an
automated script in non-GUI mode fails -- the JMeter process exits
normally, but the logfile generated only has these first two lines:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<testResults version="1.1">

When the test works, the logfile looks like this:

[metatest@snnb2b01 2007-09-05_12-10-34_21860]$ cat
1_b2b-monitoring-monitor-for-c1OR-hangs-jmx_21860.log

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<testResults version="1.1">

<sampleResult timeStamp="1188958246540" dataType="text"
threadName="Integration Test Thread Group 1-1" label="Invoke the handler
URL " time="237" responseMessage="OK" responseCode="200"
success="true"><assertionResult failureMessage="" error="false"
failure="false"/></sampleResult>

</testResults>

We're using JMeter 2.1.1? The automated runs occur on a VmWare instance
which has a fair bit of memory (never swaps).

Can anyone help? It looks to be a bug either in JMeter or in Java.

Since the automated script runs other tests subsequently, the
'jmeter.log' gets overwritten - is it possible to specify a unique
jmeter.log file on the Jmeter command line?

Kind regards,

Sonam Chauhan

--

Corporate Express Australia Ltd.

Phone: +61-2-93350725, Email: sonam.chauhan@ce.com.au

Re: Intermittent truncated logfile - non-GUI mode

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 05/09/07, Sonam Chauhan <so...@ce.com.au> wrote:
> Hello -
>

> Just requesting help with a strange intermittent failure in JMeter.
>

> Every few days, a JMeter testcase (always the same testcase) run by an
> automated script in non-GUI mode fails -- the JMeter process exits
> normally, but the logfile generated only has these first two lines:
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
>
> <testResults version="1.1">
>

> When the test works, the logfile looks like this:
>
> [metatest@snnb2b01 2007-09-05_12-10-34_21860]$ cat
> 1_b2b-monitoring-monitor-for-c1OR-hangs-jmx_21860.log
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
>
> <testResults version="1.1">
>

> <sampleResult timeStamp="1188958246540" dataType="text"
> threadName="Integration Test Thread Group 1-1" label="Invoke the handler
> URL " time="237" responseMessage="OK" responseCode="200"
> success="true"><assertionResult failureMessage="" error="false"
> failure="false"/></sampleResult>
>
> </testResults>

Unless you really need the result to be in XML, it could be worth
trying CSV output.

> We're using JMeter 2.1.1? The automated runs occur on a VmWare instance
> which has a fair bit of memory (never swaps).

2.1.1 is rather old.

> Can anyone help? It looks to be a bug either in JMeter or in Java.

Which version of Java? OS?

> Since the automated script runs other tests subsequently, the
> 'jmeter.log' gets overwritten - is it possible to specify a unique
> jmeter.log file on the Jmeter command line?

The -l flag names the output - see in jmeter-n.bat for an example usage