Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org> on 2016/05/01 04:43:40 UTC

RE: 5. Any system which depends on human reliability is unreliable

[orcmid]

Good question, Roberto.  I had to think about that.

I think we notice the absence more than the success of safeguarded human-computer systems.

From a few inside experiences and mostly as an outside observer, I think there are two qualities that a system will reveal in its operation:
  1. Consistency of Purpose
  2. Coherence of function
  3. Tolerance for errors and remedies

I was wondering how that shows up in products that we have watched evolve through multiple generations.

I'm marveling at how extraordinary motion pictures are produced, including the heavy reliance on digital technology these days.  I also think about computer games in that respect.  I have found a couple that are extensive and superb and must have taken extraordinary cooperative activity to produce.  The latter tend to be closed-source and DRM-protected.