Posted to dev@roller.apache.org by Glen Mazza <gl...@gmail.com> on 2014/09/02 02:49:07 UTC

blogs using single-rendition themes not showing on smartphones

Hi Team, I noticed today with Roller 5.1 the blogs are not rendering on
smartphones (at least mine, I have a Windows 8 smartphone that uses IE
as its browser) except for the combo basic-mobile theme, the only one
that provides explicit "mobile" rendition types.  For the others, Roller
just returns a blank screen or a 404 or similar error page.  To test,
for my website I created 5 empty blogs, one for each theme we offer:

https://web-gmazza.rhcloud.com/frontpage/
https://web-gmazza.rhcloud.com/gaurav/
https://web-gmazza.rhcloud.com/testdual/   (basic-mobile).
https://web-gmazza.rhcloud.com/frontpage/
https://web-gmazza.rhcloud.com/fauxcoly/

What I would like to have Roller do -- and I had incorrectly assumed was
already being done -- was for Roller to fall back to the "standard"
rendition type when the "mobile" rendition was not available, correct
anyway if you're using a responsive theme. Searching through the code I
think the only change I need to do is in class RollerVelocity[1], for
those getTemplate() methods that take a deviceType parameter, to attempt
to get the standard rendition type as a fallback if the mobile
deviceType was requested and is not available.  I'll test it.  Until a
Roller 5.1.1 is out, users should be able to duplicate renditions in
their theme.xml, defining the standard one as also the mobile one.

Couple of other concerns, in our MobileDeviceRepository class, our
device listing[2] used as a backup to determine if mobile is necessary
may be out-of-date, I think I can Google something more recent.  Also,
just to confirm, line #88 of that same file, checks the user agent
"deviceType" parameter for "standard" or "mobile" to determine the type,
but that parameter is not normally sent by a browser, correct?

Regards,
Glen

[1]
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/roller/trunk/app/src/main/java/org/apache/roller/weblogger/ui/rendering/velocity/RollerVelocity.java?revision=1583506&view=markup#l96
[2]
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/roller/trunk/app/src/main/java/org/apache/roller/weblogger/ui/rendering/mobile/MobileDeviceRepository.java?revision=1611764&view=markup#l34

Re: blogs using single-rendition themes not showing on smartphones

Posted by Greg Huber <gr...@gmail.com>.
Oops, sorry, the LiteDeviceResolver is Spring Mobile not jquery!

Cheers Greg

Posted by Greg Huber <gr...@gmail.com>.
The only dependant spring class is
org.springframework.web.filter.OncePerRequestFilter on the
DeviceResolverRequestFilter which can be dropped, but does reduce the
overhead of the filter.

Tablet defaults currently to mobile.  Roller could be enhanced to use more
rendering views (standard, mobile, tablet, etc) which does make managing
the design easier (less csmess) but a whole lot more work/duplication.  I
guess why frameworks are switching to mobile first (Foundation, Bootstrap)
which makes supporting multiple devices easier (based on viewport size
rather than the actual device.

Cheers Greg

Posted by Dave <sn...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Glen Mazza <gl...@gmail.com>.
If a cookie replacement option is too time-consuming or hacky to
implement, perhaps it would be better for us not to make the perfect the
enemy of the good, i.e., have Greg go ahead and update the device
detection info even if we lose the cookie stuff.  Perhaps 90% of all
blogs are going to be just single (responsive) rendition anyway, cookies
would benefit only that subset of the 10% where mobile is not the best
template for a tablet.

I'd like to get 5.1.1 out relatively soon, as Roller's 5.1.0's inability
to work with tablets and smartphones OOTB is very harmful for its
adoption.  Although I've already patched that problem by having mobile
requests go to standard if mobile not provided, additionally getting the
device detection list updated to Spring Mobile's latest and greatest as
part of this release would be very good for Roller and helpful for
integrators.  Greg at his leisure can later do the SaltCache stuff after
5.1.1 if he wishes.

Some other ideas we could consider instead of SaltCache-based solutions
(of which I don't really understand but am not too concerned about it),
most probably post 5.1.1:

1.) Add a new type to RenditionType, TABLET, allowing the blogger to
configure whatever he or she thinks is best for tablets in his
theme.xml, still defaulting back to MOBILE, and from there, STANDARD, if
a tablet rendition isn't provided.  Possibly also, create a top-level
tabletDefault property in the theme.xml (or configured in user settings
at the weblog level, so it will work with custom themes also), with
accepted values of STANDARD or MOBILE, in which the blog writer
specifies which rendition he wants used if the device is detected to be
a tablet and he or she doesn't wish to manually configure tablet renditions.

2.) Twitter does not provide a standard/mobile button but just separate
URLs for the user to choose from: m.twitter.com and www.twitter.com.
What we could do is provide the user an ability to create a second
(mobile) handle when creating the blog that will use the mobile
renditions defined for that theme, if any.  That way the blog reader can
choose whichever theme desired by his choice of URL.

Cheers,
Glen

Posted by Glen Mazza <gl...@gmail.com>.
But please, update the license headers in the interim on those files you
added...   ;-)

Glen

Posted by Greg Huber <gr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dave <sn...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Glen Mazza <gl...@gmail.com>.
If you're asking to remove the functionality that powers the "switch to
mobile" and "switch to standard" buttons on the basic and mobile parts
of the basic-mobile theme, I would say they aren't vital, if you
wouldn't mind pulling out the buttons in the basic-mobile theme if they
become unusable as a result.

Google Chrome offers a developer tools view where people can view and
test the mobile theme from the laptop browser, so people can get to the
mobile theme that way.

Glen

Posted by Greg Huber <gr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Glen Mazza <gl...@gmail.com>.