Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Marcus Chou <ch...@gmail.com> on 2010/11/28 13:44:22 UTC

Scalability on multi-core machines

Hi all,
As far as I know, one user account could have only one HBase instance,
either HMaster or HRegionServer, run on a single machine. My question is,
how many cores could HBase utilize, or rather could HBase scale on
multi-core machines?

Thanks in advance.

--
Best regards,
Mark

Re: Scalability on multi-core machines

Posted by Lars George <la...@gmail.com>.
It sure does. You have a number of handler threads that serve multiple clients. As with Hadoop you can easily saturate on IO so that the core count is actually only helpful depending if you have a chance to use them properly. That is also why you must have if you can a spindle per core. Must run with less but you want to monitor your actual use and adjust hardware accordingly.

Lars

Posted by Jonathan Gray <jg...@fb.com>.
The recommended setup if you want to put RS and ZK on the same node, is to ensure ZK has its own dedicated disk.

Posted by Michael Segel <mi...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Jack Levin <ma...@gmail.com>.