Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Kurt Schrader <ks...@engin.umich.edu> on 2001/10/16 16:58:37 UTC

SOAP (Was: Re: Turbine versus other java web frameworks)

On Tuesday, October 16, 2001, at 10:03 AM, Gareth Coltman wrote:

> How much web services architecture will be in Turbine 3? Turbine would
> make a great platform for simple webservices - all it really
> needs is the SOAP integration. I haven't really been keeping much of an
> eye on v3 recently, so just wondered what might be in it?

Nothing new has actually been added to the version 3 repository yet
(except for the improved localization service, I think) but since you
asked:

I'm working on a SOAP service for fulcrum right now that can currently
call SOAP services on other machines.  Getting Turbine to act as a SOAP
server, on the other hand, is much more of a pain.  The way that Turbine
currently does XML-RPC is to start up a lightweight server on another
port to service the RPC requests.  We could do something similar with
SOAP, but then you would no longer have the "run your requests through
port 80" situation that makes SOAP services attractive in the first
place.  This leaves either running another servlet in parallel with
Turbine to service the requests (which would make it not at all part of
Turbine, and would be better handled by running the Apache SOAP servlet
that is already available) or modifying the Turbine servlet proper to
somehow redirect the SOAP requests, which seems to be a less than
optimal solution, but if it can be done cleanly enough might be the only
choice if we want to enable this functionality.

Any suggestions as to how to proceed or other possible methods of doing
this would be welcomed.

-Kurt

Re: SOAP (Was: Re: Turbine versus other java web frameworks)

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>.
Kurt Schrader <ks...@engin.umich.edu> writes:

> I'm working on a SOAP service for fulcrum right now that can currently
> call SOAP services on other machines.  Getting Turbine to act as a
> SOAP server, on the other hand, is much more of a pain.  The way that
> Turbine currently does XML-RPC is to start up a lightweight server on
> another port to service the RPC requests.  We could do something
> similar with SOAP, but then you would no longer have the "run your
> requests through port 80" situation that makes SOAP services
> attractive in the first place.  This leaves either running another
> servlet in parallel with Turbine to service the requests (which would
> make it not at all part of Turbine, and would be better handled by
> running the Apache SOAP servlet that is already available) or
> modifying the Turbine servlet proper to somehow redirect the SOAP
> requests, which seems to be a less than optimal solution, but if it
> can be done cleanly enough might be the only choice if we want to
> enable this functionality.
>
> Any suggestions as to how to proceed or other possible methods of
> doing this would be welcomed.

Hi Kurt.  I like the XML-RPC service's pattern, but think that the
integration could be enhanced.  One approach is to reserve part of the
URL space (likely using a Turbine Action or Module), and shunting off
requests to for that to a SOAP service which has methods which take an
InputStream (graciously provided by ServletRequest.getInputStream()).

Daniel