Posted to general@gump.apache.org by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org> on 2004/02/05 19:30:37 UTC

Gump docs gen AKA Alexandria (was Re: Gump as TLP)

Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> I would really love that one day gump generates also web sites (consider
> continuous integration of documentation equivalent to code compilation
> when a document depends on a schema), javadocs, LXR-like HTML-ifized
> code, project RSS feeds based on autodiscovery of CVS logs (for example,
> you can have a special [RSS] token in your CVS commit that triggers this
> automatically), FOAF files, LXR-like agora graphs of project
> dependencies and so on.

Currently Alexandria is able to generate the following:
http://cvs.apache.org/~nicolaken/whiteboard/alexandria-docs/xml-cocoon/

Actually, thanks to dims, the javasrc part works like this:
http://nagoya.apache.org/~dims/maven/

To try it, download the jakarta-alexandria CVS, install graphviz, and
then launch 'ant all' and it will gen the docs for Alexandria itself.

IIRC -Dproject.name=  and -Dproject.dir= make it possible to gen the
info for another project.

I was looking into making Gump generate the docs for every project but
then I'm too deep in Forrest, Incubator and work to do it yet.

What should I do, move the core here, to Forrest, whatever else?
(my idea was to put nagging in Gump and Alexandria under Forrest...)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: Gump docs gen AKA Alexandria (was Re: Gump as TLP)

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
On 6 Feb 2004, at 05:41, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Stefan Bodewig wrote:

>>> I don't know, the code could reside in alexandria for now and
>>> gump/gumpy might simply run it for that project.
>> +1
>> I don't see a reason to move it either.  We wouldn't move Ant's
>> <junitreport> task just because we can also publish the unit test
>> reports either. 8-)
>
> :-)
>
> I also agree, and am happy that the view is uniform.
>
> What instead I tend to think is better would be to move it under
> Forrest. The main reason is that Alexandria is dead, while Forrest has
> already eyes on it, and it would gain probably more support.
>
> Forrest is about building docs, and these are code docs (while
> currently it does site docs only).

I agree. Another nice thing would be to have a javadoc xml doclet in
forrest, so that you can have javadocs/javasrc with the same skin of
your web site, that would be totally cool.

--
Stefano.

Re: Gump docs gen AKA Alexandria

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> If you think it will be
> welcome by the Forrest community, go for it.  Well, the interested
> people from the Forrest community could as well join Alexandria.
> Whatever works best for you (plural you).

"plural you"... hmmm... I'll ask Forrest then, thanks :-)

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 06 Feb 2004, Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org> wrote:

> What instead I tend to think is better would be to move it under
> Forrest.

Wherever you find a community that supports it ...

> The main reason is that Alexandria is dead,

because it doesn't have a community that supports it ;-)

You need to get people interested in and working on it, then it
doesn't matter at all where the code lives.  If you think it will be
welcome by the Forrest community, go for it.  Well, the interested
people from the Forrest community could as well join Alexandria.
Whatever works best for you (plural you).

Stefan

Re: Gump docs gen AKA Alexandria (was Re: Gump as TLP)

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> On Thu, 5 Feb 2004, Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>>>What should I do, move the core here, to Forrest, whatever else?
>>
>>I don't know, the code could reside in alexandria for now and
>>gump/gumpy might simply run it for that project.
>
> +1
>
> I don't see a reason to move it either.  We wouldn't move Ant's
> <junitreport> task just because we can also publish the unit test
> reports either. 8-)

:-)

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
On 5 Feb 2004, at 13:30, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>> I would really love that one day gump generates also web sites
>> (consider continuous integration of documentation equivalent to code
>> compilation when a document depends on a schema), javadocs, LXR-like
>> HTML-ifized code, project RSS feeds based on autodiscovery of CVS
>> logs (for example, you can have a special [RSS] token in your CVS
>> commit that triggers this automatically), FOAF files, LXR-like agora
>> graphs of project dependencies and so on.
>
> Currently Alexandria is able to generate the following:
> http://cvs.apache.org/~nicolaken/whiteboard/alexandria-docs/xml-cocoon/
>
> Actually, thanks to dims, the javasrc part works like this:
> http://nagoya.apache.org/~dims/maven/

very cool!

> To try it, download the jakarta-alexandria CVS, install graphviz, and
> then launch 'ant all' and it will gen the docs for Alexandria itself.
>
> IIRC -Dproject.name=  and -Dproject.dir= make it possible to gen the
> info for another project.

> I was looking into making Gump generate the docs for every project but
> then I'm too deep in Forrest, Incubator and work to do it yet.
>
> What should I do, move the core here, to Forrest, whatever else?

I don't know, the code could reside in alexandria for now and
gump/gumpy might simply run it for that project.

How can we do this? ideas people?

> (my idea was to put nagging in Gump and Alexandria under Forrest...)

I can't parse this.

--
Stefano.