Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Violeta Georgieva <mi...@gmail.com> on 2013/09/23 22:58:08 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 7.0.44

The proposed Apache Tomcat 7.0.44 release is now available for voting.
This release candidate contains JSR-356 Java WebSocket 1.0 implementation.
Note that use of this functionality requires Java 7.

It can be obtained from:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-7/v7.0.44/
The Maven staging repo is:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-090/
The svn tag is:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tc7.0.x/tags/TOMCAT_7_0_44/

The proposed 7.0.44 release is:
[ ] Broken - do not release
[ ] Stable - go ahead and release as 7.0.44 Stable

Regards
Violeta

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 7.0.44

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Violetta,

> Building tomcat-dbcp with Java 1.6 and resuming the build with Java 7
> shows everything is okay.
>
> But, when I run all the tests, I get lots and lots of failures:
> Testsuite: javax.el.TestArrayELResolver
> Tests run: 1, Failures: 0, Errors: 1, Time elapsed: 0 sec
>
>         Caused an ERROR
> javax/el/TestArrayELResolver : Unsupported major.minor version 51.0
> java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: javax/el/TestArrayELResolver :
> Unsupported major.minor version 51.0
>         at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
>         at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClassCond(ClassLoader.java:631)
>         at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:615)
>         at
> java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:141)
>         at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:283)
>         at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$000(URLClassLoader.java:58)
>         at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:197)
>         at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:190)
>         at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:306)
>         at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:301)
>         at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:247)
>
> I'm fairly sure this is a problem with my environment. I have JAVA_HOME
> set to point to Java 7 but I suspect somewhere that's getting overridden
> when the tests are being run.

Specifying "-Djava.bin.path=$JAVA_HOME/bin/" on the command-line shows
all tests passing (save for Tribes, which are known to fail in my
environment).

Thanks,
-chris

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 7.0.44

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Violetta,

On 9/23/13 4:58 PM, Violeta Georgieva wrote:
> The proposed Apache Tomcat 7.0.44 release is now available for voting.
> This release candidate contains JSR-356 Java WebSocket 1.0 implementation.
> Note that use of this functionality requires Java 7.
>
> It can be obtained from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-7/v7.0.44/
> The Maven staging repo is:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-090/
> The svn tag is:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tc7.0.x/tags/TOMCAT_7_0_44/
>
> The proposed 7.0.44 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [X] Stable - go ahead and release as 7.0.44 Stable

Debian Linux 2.6, x86_84
Oracle Java 1.6.0_26, 64-bit Server VM

Binary ZIP and tarball are the same
Source ZIP and tarball are the same
MD5 sums are okay
GPG sigs are okay
tcnative builds fine, with some "notes"
Checkstyle is happy
Tomcat builds with one warning:

compile-java6:
    [javac] Compiling 1313 source files to
/home/cschultz/projects/apache-tomcat/tarball/apache-tomcat-7.0.44-src/output/classes
    [javac]
/home/cschultz/projects/apache-tomcat/tarball/apache-tomcat-7.0.44-src/java/javax/el/ResourceBundleELResolver.java:109:
warning: getFeatureDescriptors(javax.el.ELContext,java.lang.Object) in
javax.el.ResourceBundleELResolver overrides
getFeatureDescriptors(javax.el.ELContext,java.lang.Object) in
javax.el.ELResolver; return type requires unchecked conversion
    [javac] found   : java.util.Iterator
    [javac] required: java.util.Iterator<java.beans.FeatureDescriptor>
    [javac]     public Iterator getFeatureDescriptors(
    [javac]                     ^
    [javac] Note: Some input files use or override a deprecated API.
    [javac] Note: Recompile with -Xlint:deprecation for details.
    [javac] 1 warning

Unit tests pass (except Tribes, known to fail in my environment)

Quick smoke test on my own web application (no new features e.g.
Websocket are in use) shows no problems.

Looks good to me.

When using Java 1.7.0_40, tomcat-dbcp fails to build:

build-tomcat-dbcp:
     [copy] Copying 68 files to
/home/cschultz/projects/apache-tomcat/tarball/downloads/tomcat7-deps/dbcp
    [mkdir] Created dir:
/home/cschultz/projects/apache-tomcat/tarball/downloads/tomcat7-deps/dbcp/src/java/org/apache/tomcat/dbcp
     [move] Moving 64 files to
/home/cschultz/projects/apache-tomcat/tarball/downloads/tomcat7-deps/dbcp/src/java/org/apache/tomcat/dbcp
    [mkdir] Created dir:
/home/cschultz/projects/apache-tomcat/tarball/downloads/tomcat7-deps/dbcp/classes
    [javac] Compiling 64 source files to
/home/cschultz/projects/apache-tomcat/tarball/downloads/tomcat7-deps/dbcp/classes
    [javac] warning: [options] bootstrap class path not set in
conjunction with -source 1.6
    [javac]
/home/cschultz/projects/apache-tomcat/tarball/downloads/tomcat7-deps/dbcp/src/java/org/apache/tomcat/dbcp/dbcp/BasicDataSource.java:53:
error: BasicDataSource is not abstract and does not override abstract
method getParentLogger() in CommonDataSource
    [javac] public class BasicDataSource implements DataSource {
    [javac]        ^
    [javac]
/home/cschultz/projects/apache-tomcat/tarball/downloads/tomcat7-deps/dbcp/src/java/org/apache/tomcat/dbcp/dbcp/DelegatingStatement.java:46:
error: DelegatingStatement is not abstract and does not override
abstract method isCloseOnCompletion() in Statement
    [javac] public class DelegatingStatement extends AbandonedTrace
implements Statement {

 [...]

[...]

I'll follow up on that.

-chris

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 7.0.44

Posted by Jeanfrancois Arcand <jf...@gmail.com>.
On 2013-09-23 4:58 PM, Violeta Georgieva wrote:
> The proposed Apache Tomcat 7.0.44 release is now available for voting.
> This release candidate contains JSR-356 Java WebSocket 1.0 implementation.
> Note that use of this functionality requires Java 7.
>
> It can be obtained from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-7/v7.0.44/
> The Maven staging repo is:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-090/
> The svn tag is:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tc7.0.x/tags/TOMCAT_7_0_44/
>
> The proposed 7.0.44 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [X] Stable - go ahead and release as 7.0.44 Stable
Tested with Atmosphere, jdk6/7, native comet/Servlet Async API, jsr356,
Native WebSocket.

-- Jeanfrancois

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 10:58 PM, Violeta Georgieva <mi...@gmail.com>wrote:

> The proposed Apache Tomcat 7.0.44 release is now available for voting.
> This release candidate contains JSR-356 Java WebSocket 1.0 implementation.
> Note that use of this functionality requires Java 7.
>
> It can be obtained from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-7/v7.0.44/
> The Maven staging repo is:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-090/
> The svn tag is:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tc7.0.x/tags/TOMCAT_7_0_44/
>
> The proposed 7.0.44 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [X] Stable - go ahead and release as 7.0.44 Stable

Tested Apache Wicket Native WebSocket with both Tomcat 7 websocket impl and
the new JSR356 impl.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Rossen,

On 9/24/13 10:35 AM, Rossen Stoyanchev wrote:
> I am getting a ClassCastException when using (non JSR-356) upgrade,
> i.e. WsServerContainer.doUpgrade:

> org.springframework.security.web.servletapi.HttpServlet3RequestFactory$Servlet3SecurityContextHolderAwareRequestWrapper
> cannot be cast to org.apache.catalina.connector.RequestFacade

Looks like Spring is interfering, here. Can you post your relevant
Spring configuration?

-chris

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 7.0.44

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 24/09/2013 08:40, Mark Thomas wrote:
> On 24/09/2013 08:07, Martin Grigorov wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 4:35 PM, Rossen Stoyanchev <

>>> Also what's the equivalent of the Tomcat 8 tomcat-websocket
>>> dependency? I see the 7.0.44 binary has tomcat7-websocket.jar but I
>>>

>> Here is what I use for Apache Wicket integration:
>> https://github.com/apache/wicket/blob/master/wicket-experimental/wicket-native-websocket/wicket-native-websocket-tomcat/pom.xml#L43
>>

>>> can't find such a dependency in the staging maven repository.
>
> The necessary update to the script that uploads those JARs to the Maven
> repo was missed. I think I have fixed it locally but need to test it
> from somewhere with connectivity. Unless the JavaOne Wifi is
> significantly better than yesterday that won't be for a few hours.

I've fixed the build scripts and confirmed they work by generating a
7.0.x SNAPSHOT.

Mark

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 7.0.44

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 24/09/2013 08:52, Rossen Stoyanchev wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 11:40 AM, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Tomcat should already being the necessary unwrapping in lines 179-181.
>> It isn't immediately clear to me why this isn't working as intended. Can
>> you denug this and add some insight?
>
> Indeed, the code does unwrap the request correctly but then it uses
> the original "req" var, not "inner". Doh!

Whoops. Guess that is my fault. Sorry. I'll get that fixed.

Mark

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 7.0.44

Posted by Rossen Stoyanchev <rs...@gopivotal.com>.

Posted by Violeta Georgieva <mi...@gmail.com>.
2013/9/24 Nick Williams <ni...@nicholaswilliams.net>

> On Sep 24, 2013, at 11:00 AM, Rossen Stoyanchev wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 11:40 AM, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> >> The necessary update to the script that uploads those JARs to the Maven
> >> repo was missed. I think I have fixed it locally but need to test it
> >> from somewhere with connectivity. Unless the JavaOne Wifi is
> >> significantly better than yesterday that won't be for a few hours.
> >
> > I'll run tests when this is available.
>
> Soooo, does that mean this vote is cancelled, too?

Yes I'll cancel this vote and I'll mark 7.0.44 as "not released".
I'm going to tag 7.0.45 tomorrow morning.

Posted by Nick Williams <ni...@nicholaswilliams.net>.
On Sep 24, 2013, at 11:00 AM, Rossen Stoyanchev wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 11:40 AM, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> The necessary update to the script that uploads those JARs to the Maven
>> repo was missed. I think I have fixed it locally but need to test it
>> from somewhere with connectivity. Unless the JavaOne Wifi is
>> significantly better than yesterday that won't be for a few hours.
>
> I'll run tests when this is available.

Soooo, does that mean this vote is cancelled, too?

Nick

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 7.0.44

Posted by Rossen Stoyanchev <rs...@gopivotal.com>.
On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 11:40 AM, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

> The necessary update to the script that uploads those JARs to the Maven
> repo was missed. I think I have fixed it locally but need to test it
> from somewhere with connectivity. Unless the JavaOne Wifi is
> significantly better than yesterday that won't be for a few hours.

I'll run tests when this is available.

Thanks,
Rossen

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 7.0.44