Posted to dev@nuttx.apache.org by Anjana <An...@tataelxsi.co.in.INVALID> on 2020/06/18 05:38:36 UTC

ELF Application Example(apps/examples/elf) undefined references issue in symtab.c

Hello Team,

I have added ELF Binary Loader support for RX65N target.

I am currently testing my implementation using the apps/examples/elf/ example .

When I enable the apps/examples/elf/ example application, and compile, I am getting the below error in symtab.c (Symbol Table)

 C:\cygwin64\home\USER\PR_To_Apache\Binary_Loader\incubator-nuttx\staging\libapps.a(symtab.home.USER.PR_To_Apache.Binary_Loader.incubator-nuttx-apps.examples.elf.o):(.rodata.g_elf_exports+0x14): undefined reference to `_fflush'
C:\cygwin64\home\USER\PR_To_Apache\Binary_Loader\incubator-nuttx\staging\libapps.a(symtab.home.USER.PR_To_Apache.Binary_Loader.incubator-nuttx-apps.examples.elf.o):(.rodata.g_elf_exports+0x1c): undefined reference to `_fopen'
C:\cygwin64\home\USER\PR_To_Apache\Binary_Loader\incubator-nuttx\staging\libapps.a(symtab.home.USER.PR_To_Apache.Binary_Loader.incubator-nuttx-apps.examples.elf.o):(.rodata.g_elf_exports+0x24): undefined reference to `_fprintf'
C:\cygwin64\home\USER\PR_To_Apache\Binary_Loader\incubator-nuttx\staging\libapps.a(symtab.home.USER.PR_To_Apache.Binary_Loader.incubator-nuttx-apps.examples.elf.o):(.rodata.g_elf_exports+0x2c): undefined reference to `_getpid'
C:\cygwin64\home\USER\PR_To_Apache\Binary_Loader\incubator-nuttx\staging\libapps.a(symtab.home.USER.PR_To_Apache.Binary_Loader.incubator-nuttx-apps.examples.elf.o):(.rodata.g_elf_exports+0x34): undefined reference to `_kill'
C:\cygwin64\home\USER\PR_To_Apache\Binary_Loader\incubator-nuttx\staging\libapps.a(symtab.home.USER.PR_To_Apache.Binary_Loader.incubator-nuttx-apps.examples.elf.o):(.rodata.g_elf_exports+0x3c): undefined reference to `_longjmp'
C:\cygwin64\home\USER\PR_To_Apache\Binary_Loader\incubator-nuttx\staging\libapps.a(symtab.home.USER.PR_To_Apache.Binary_Loader.incubator-nuttx-apps.examples.elf.o):(.rodata.g_elf_exports+0x44): undefined reference to `_memset'
C:\cygwin64\home\USER\PR_To_Apache\Binary_Loader\incubator-nuttx\staging\libapps.a(symtab.home.USER.PR_To_Apache.Binary_Loader.incubator-nuttx-apps.examples.elf.o):(.rodata.g_elf_exports+0x4c): undefined reference to `_nxsched_get_streams'
C:\cygwin64\home\USER\PR_To_Apache\Binary_Loader\incubator-nuttx\staging\libapps.a(symtab.home.USER.PR_To_Apache.Binary_Loader.incubator-nuttx-apps.examples.elf.o):(.rodata.g_elf_exports+0x54): undefined reference to `_printf'
C:\cygwin64\home\USER\PR_To_Apache\Binary_Loader\incubator-nuttx\staging\libapps.a(symtab.home.USER.PR_To_Apache.Binary_Loader.incubator-nuttx-apps.examples.elf.o):(.rodata.g_elf_exports+0x5c): undefined reference to `_pthread_attr_init'
C:\cygwin64\home\USER\PR_To_Apache\Binary_Loader\incubator-nuttx\staging\libapps.a(symtab.home.USER.PR_To_Apache.Binary_Loader.incubator-nuttx-apps.examples.elf.o):(.rodata.g_elf_exports+0x64): undefined reference to `_pthread_create'
C:\cygwin64\home\USER\PR_To_Apache\Binary_Loader\incubator-nuttx\staging\libapps.a(symtab.home.USER.PR_To_Apache.Binary_Loader.incubator-nuttx-apps.examples.elf.o):(.rodata.g_elf_exports+0x6c): undefined reference to `_pthread_exit'
C:\cygwin64\home\USER\PR_To_Apache\Binary_Loader\incubator-nuttx\staging\libapps.a(symtab.home.USER.PR_To_Apache.Binary_Loader.incubator-nuttx-apps.examples.elf.o):(.rodata.g_elf_exports+0x74): undefined reference to `_pthread_join'

The above error is obtained for all the symbols generated in symtab.c from mksymtab.sh.

Has anyone faced any similar issue?

Any help to resolve the issue would be really helpful.

Regards,

Anjana

________________________________
Disclaimer: This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient of this message , or if this message has been addressed to you in error, please immediately alert the sender by reply email and then delete this message and any attachments. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, copying, or storage of this message or its attachments is strictly prohibited. Email transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free, as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender, therefore, does not accept liability for any errors, omissions or contaminations in the contents of this message which might have occurred as a result of email transmission. If verification is required, please request for a hard-copy version.
________________________________

Re: ELF Application Example(apps/examples/elf) undefined references issue in symtab.c

Posted by "Ishikawa, Masayuki (SHES)" <Ma...@sony.com>.
Hi,

Perhaps I understand what happened to the rx65n target.
This might be a compiler issue that it generates external function symbols with an underscore.

According to gcc document, it says that:

===
Warning: the ‘-fleading-underscore’ switch causes GCC to generate code that is not binary compatible
with code generated without that switch. Use it to conform to a non-default application binary interface.
Not all targets provide complete support for this switch
===

I think rx-elf-gcc generates external function symbols with an underscore by default.
However, you can disable this by -fno-leading-underscore.

Also, you need to change some assembler code where they call external C functions
with an underscore.

I hope this helps.

Masayuki