Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by "Robert P. J. Day" <rp...@mindspring.com> on 2003/04/11 14:45:59 UTC

FOP for XML -> FO?

  it's not mentioned in the online help, so i just wanted
to verify that there's no XML -> FO transform supported
by FOP, which would allow me to examine the intermediate
FO before going on to generate the final PDF.

  is this the case?

rday

Re: [fop] FOP for XML -> FO?

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> ah, i hadn't noticed that, thanks.  and i realize that this may be
> painfully obvious, but it's important for me that invoking this
> xalan.bat to generate the intermediate FO would produce exactly
> the same intermediate FO that would be generated by going
> directly from XML+XSL -> PDF.  (since FOP would simply call
> xalan underneath to do the XSLT transformation, it seems that
> this would be obvious.)

Serialization of the intermediate result may fubar the whole thing,
if you use disable-outpur-escaping, output indentation and perhaps
a few other unpleasant tricks.

J.Pietschmann

RE: [fop] FOP for XML -> FO?

Posted by Victor Mote <vi...@outfitr.com>.
Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> > Starting with FOP 0.20.5rc2 FOP contains a xalan.bat to do just that.
>
> ah, i hadn't noticed that, thanks.  and i realize that this may be
> painfully obvious, but it's important for me that invoking this
> xalan.bat to generate the intermediate FO would produce exactly
> the same intermediate FO that would be generated by going
> directly from XML+XSL -> PDF.  (since FOP would simply call
> xalan underneath to do the XSLT transformation, it seems that
> this would be obvious.)

Your assumption is almost certainly true, but the easiest way to make sure
is to use the xalan.bat to produce the fo file, then use fop.bat to convert
that fo file (not the original xml file) to your output format.

Victor Mote

Re: [fop] FOP for XML -> FO?

Posted by "Robert P. J. Day" <rp...@mindspring.com>.
On Fri, 11 Apr 2003, Jeremias Maerki wrote:

> Starting with FOP 0.20.5rc2 FOP contains a xalan.bat to do just that.

ah, i hadn't noticed that, thanks.  and i realize that this may be
painfully obvious, but it's important for me that invoking this
xalan.bat to generate the intermediate FO would produce exactly
the same intermediate FO that would be generated by going
directly from XML+XSL -> PDF.  (since FOP would simply call
xalan underneath to do the XSLT transformation, it seems that
this would be obvious.)

thanks for the pointer to xalan.bat.

rday

p.s.  and on another note, i'm just getting back to seeing
how well FOP supports docbook, as i'm about to start converting
a bunch of courseware manuals into docbook.

if anyone out there has been heavily involved with FOP and
docbook, drop me a line.

Re: [fop] FOP for XML -> FO?

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.

On 11.04.2003 15:25:25 Steve Guo wrote:

> FOP supports FO->PDF. My impression is it does not support XML+XSL->FO.
>

> quote:
>
> oh, i understand that.  it's just that, since FOP already supports
> XML+XSL -> FO, it must already be invoking what i assume is
> xalan/xerces underneath to generate the FO, yes?

Jeremias Maerki

Re: [fop] FOP for XML -> FO?

Re: [fop] FOP for XML -> FO?

Posted by "Robert P. J. Day" <rp...@mindspring.com>.
On Fri, 11 Apr 2003, Fabrizio Tringali wrote:

> because that is an XSLT transformation
>
> bye
>
> From: "Robert P. J. Day" <rp...@mindspring.com>
> >
> >   it's not mentioned in the online help, so i just wanted
> > to verify that there's no XML -> FO transform supported
> > by FOP, which would allow me to examine the intermediate
> > FO before going on to generate the final PDF.
> >
> >   is this the case?

oh, i understand that.  it's just that, since FOP already supports
XML+XSL -> FO, it must already be invoking what i assume is
xalan/xerces underneath to generate the FO, yes?

i assume that i could always invoke xalan directly to do the
XSLT transformation, but it would just have been convenient
if FOP supported that directly from the command line.

no big deal.

rday

Re: [fop] FOP for XML -> FO?

Posted by Fabrizio Tringali <f....@infser.it>.