Posted to marketing@cloudstack.apache.org by Sally Khudairi <sk...@apache.org> on 2014/06/18 15:49:04 UTC

Apache CloudStack Tearsheet

Hello, everyone --

As part of my working with media/analysts on All Things Apache, and the inclusion of Apache CloudStack to my list of "hot" and newsworthy items, I've created a tearsheet that can be used as a leave behind (digitally or physically) as well as a quick point of reference.

Below is the plaintext version; I'm also happy to forward a Word or ODF or PDF
format to you upon request.

Also, if you are aware of additional users/deployments that are not listed below, do let me know :-)

Thanks in advance for your continued support!
-Sally

= = =

Introducing Apache CloudStack™
The mature, Open Source turnkey software platform used for creating Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) cloud computing in private-, public-, and hybrid cloud environments.
Faster to the Cloud
As organizations move towards cloud computing services to alleviate the burden of managing/maintaining legacy systems, equipment, and networking, many are choosing IaaS solutions to help reduce costs whilst minimizing business layer repercussions. ZDNet projects that enterprises will spend $650M for enterprise public cloud IaaS by 2018.
To facilitate the cloud transition, IaaS combines compute and cloud storage, where the hardware (or virtual machines), computing power, cooling, and networking are outsourced; users of IaaS solutions control the stack required to operate it, such as the operating system, virtual machines, storage, database servers, Web servers, load-balancing, monitoring, reporting, logging, middleware, hardware/software upgrades, patches, security fixes, licensing, etc.
The cloud offers massive computing power. The challenge, however, is that many of today's cloud management platforms are cumbersome and difficult to deploy, making it an often frustrating and resource-intensive investment.
Apache CloudStack is designed to deploy quickly and manage large networks of virtual machines as a highly available, highly scalable cloud computing platform. CloudStack integrates easily with other technologies, and includes the entire "stack" of features most organizations are seeking with an IaaS cloud:
	elegant, Java-based framework
	compute orchestration
	advanced Network-as-a-Service functionality
	user and account management
	a full and open native API (compatible with Amazon Web Services Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2) for organizations that wish to deploy hybrid clouds)
	resource accounting
	choice of first-class User Interface, command line tools, or full-featured RESTful API to delegate and create self-service offerings
	scalability (production instances with greater than 40,000 hosts in geographically-distributed environments)
	user-led development and deployment documentation
	supports the most popular hypervisors (including VMware, KVM, XenServer, Xen Cloud Platform (XCM), and Hyper-V to run the virtual machines as guests)
Apache CloudStack: The Cloud That Just Works!
"CloudStack is gaining better 'real world' adoption … because it's actually usable in its current form without special effort"
–Gartner Group
Apache CloudStack is widely used in production by many service providers to set up on-demand, elastic public cloud computing services, as well as enterprises to set up a private or hybrid cloud for use by their own employees. In addition, CloudStack is available to individuals and organizations that wish to study and implement an IaaS for personal, educational, and/or production use.
Apache CloudStack users power billions of dollars' worth of business transactions annually across their clouds, and benefit from:
-	Proven technology –CloudStack is among the earliest IaaS solutions developed, with many long-term, large deployments that prove its stability and scalability
-	Stable codebase –the latest release reflects more than 1.5M lines of code from 170 contributors
-	Easy deployment –a Fortune 50 multinational had CloudStack up, running, and usable within in a single day, as opposed to weeks using competing IaaS solutions
-	Highly scalable –CloudStack’s orchestration platforms have been used to scale to [@@what is the right/best example to use here? Uri Cohen’s 200K concurrent users at peak? Something else?]
-	Flexibility –CloudStack is designed to handle the spectrum of application/cloud styles that span "legacy virtualization" through "cloud-native" style workloads, depending on how the cloud operator designs the infrastructure environment(s) and configures CloudStack to offer services
-	Reliability –CloudStack accommodates for redundancy and resiliency, providing faster recovery and response time; Europe’s first CloudStack deployment has been running consecutively for over 14 months at 100% uptime
-	Robust community –openly developed "The Apache Way", CloudStack is overseen by a diverse, active, meritocratic community
CloudStack originated at Cloud.com, which was acquired by Citrix in 2011. CloudStack was submitted to the Apache Incubator in April 2012 and graduated as an Apache Software Foundation Top-level Project in March 2013.
Global Footprint
Since its introduction nearly six years ago, Apache CloudStack has become the go-to Open Source platform for a wide range of users such as 1 degreenorth, 5th Planet, Accudata Systems, Acentrix,  Add Value, Alcatel-Lucent, Amdocs, Anolim, Apalia, Appcore, Appdel, AppSphere, Ascenty, ASG, AST Modular, Autodesk, AXEKA, Axelaris, Backbone Technology, BT Cloud, BT Engage IT, Bechtle AG, Business Connexion, CANCOM, Centracon, CentralWay, China Telecom, Citrix, Clavis IT, Cloud3, Cloudera, CloudOps, COMBIS, COMLINE Computer + Softwarelösungen, COMPAREX, Comping, Computer Services Group, Contegix, Control Circle, Convergence Group, Datacentrix, DataPipe, Dell, Digital China Advanced Systems, Disney, e-Contact, Edmunds.com, Entisys Solutions, Evry, EXA Serve, Exoscale, Experteq IT Services, FPG Technologies & Solutions, Fritz & Macziol, GreenQloud, Grid'5000, Hokkaido University, Homeaway, Hostbill, Huawei, IDC Frontier, Ikoula, IndiQus Technologies, InMobi,
 ISWest, Joe’s Cloud Computing, Juniper Networks, KDDI, KocSistem, Kommunale Informatoinsverarbeitung Baden-Franken, KT/Korea Telecom, Kumo, Kyuden Infocom, Kyushu University, LCS, LeaseWeb, Makro Factory oHG, MCPc, Microland Ltd, NAMU Tech, NEOS, Networkers AG, Nokia, NTT, NVision Group, OpenERP, Orange, OverBright, Ozona Consulting, PCextreme, PosAm, PPTV, PromonLogicalis, Proteus, RedBridge, Redapt, Safe Swiss Cloud, Scalr, Schuberg Philis, sepago GmbH, ShapeBlue, Shopzilla, Slovak Telekom, SoftLayer, SoftwareONE, SolidFire Storage, Stratosec, SunGard AS, SwiftStack, Taiwan Mobile, Targus Technologies, Tata, TNTG Limited, Trader Media Group, TrendMicro/TCloud Computing, Tendril, TomTom, UniSystems, University of Melbourne, University of Sao Paolo, Verizon, Xtendsys, WebMD, Zenoss, and Zynga, among others.
Products + Availability
The latest Apache CloudStack release is v4.3.0, which reflects dozens of new features, bug fixes, and documentation updates. Apache CloudStack CloudMonkey v5.1.0 is the latest feature release of its command line interface tool. As with all Apache products, Apache CloudStack software is released under the Apache License v2.0.
Governance and Oversight
Apache CloudStack is overseen by a self-selected team of active contributors to the project. A Project Management Committee (PMC) guides the Project's day-to-day operations, including community development and product releases.
Get Involved!
Underscoring the ASF's edict of "Community over Code", Apache CloudStack boasts a very diverse and open community comprising participants from around the globe. All contributors are on an equal footing, whether they are writing code or helping with other aspects of the project.
The many ways to get involved with the Apache CloudStack community include participating online on mailing lists as well as attending face-to-face MeetUps, developer trainings, and user events. Information on the CloudStack community can be found at http://cloudstack.apache.org/ and @CloudStack on Twitter.
Catch CloudStack in action at the next CloudStack Collaboration Conference, the official user/developer conference of the Apache CloudStack community, taking place November 19 - 21, 2014, in tandem with ApacheCon Europe. To register and for more information, visit http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/cloudstack-collaboration-conference-europe and follow conference updates at @CCCEU14 on Twitter.
About Apache CloudStack
Apache CloudStack is a mature, turnkey integrated Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) Open Source software platform that allows users to build feature-rich public and private cloud environments. Hailed by Gartner Group as "a solid product", CloudStack includes an intuitive user interface and rich APIs for managing the compute, networking, software, and storage infrastructure resources. CloudStack entered the Apache Incubator in April 2012 and became an Apache Top-level Project in March 2013. For downloads, documentation, and ways to become involved with Apache CloudStack, visit http://cloudstack.apache.org/ and https://twitter.com/CloudStack
About The Apache Software Foundation (ASF)
Apache products power half the Internet, exabytes of data, teraflops of operations, billions of objects, and enhance the lives of countless users and developers world-wide. Established in 1999 to shepherd, develop, and incubate Open Source innovations "The Apache Way", the ASF oversees 170+ projects led by an all-volunteer community of over 400 individual Members and 3,500 Committers across six continents. For more information, visit http://www.apache.org/ or follow @TheASF on Twitter.
# # #
© The Apache Software Foundation. "Apache", "CloudStack", "Apache CloudStack", the Apache CloudStack logo, and the Apache CloudStack Cloud Monkey logo are registered trademarks or trademarks of The Apache Software Foundation. All other brands and trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
Contact
Apache CloudStack
[FULL NAME]
[telephone number with country code]
marketing@cloudstack.apache.org

Re: Apache CloudStack Tearsheet

Posted by Go Chiba <go...@gmail.com>.
Sally,

No problem, I got it and reading details now!

-Go Chiba

from my iPhone

Posted by Sally Khudairi <sk...@apache.org>.
Sorry did you not get it?

If not, I'm attaching again.

Thanks,
Sally

Posted by Go Chiba <go...@gmail.com>.
Oops...

Posted by Sally Khudairi <sk...@apache.org>.
Thanks so much, Tim. Your eagle-eyes are much appreciated!

I'll make the change now. Any additional feedback/corrections/additions welcome.

Cheers & chat soon,
Sally

Posted by Tim Mackey <tm...@gmail.com>.
Sally,

Posted by Sally Khudairi <sk...@apache.org>.

Posted by Go Chiba <go...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sally,

Posted by "White, Kim" <Ki...@netapp.com>.
On the scalability front, Citrix, Cisco and NetApp have done a Cisco Validate Design (CVD) on CloudPlatform with FlexPod.
http://blogs.citrix.com/2014/03/26/cloudplatform-flexpod/

FYI - FlexPod just passed the $3B sales mark

In the commercial world, we do most of the performance work with commercial platform + application.
This gets published out as CVDs or technical reports.

A point of view - the platform alone really isn't the most interesting thing.
The value lies with what the customers DO with the platform + applications that solve a business problem.

There was lots of traffic about getting to the CIOs and suits earlier this week.
Best chance to get engagement is with compelling stories of business value.
The idea of a CIO roundtable/panel discussion is a good one if you can hook the right people in and make it exclusive.

--kim

Kim White
NetApp
408.822.3125 Direct
925.998.4252 Mobile
kim.white@netapp.com

Posted by Sally Khudairi <sk...@apache.org>.
Thanks, David. Re:

Not sure whom that is directed, and I'll be the first to say that I'm not sure, and therefore asking for the correct statement.

I'm certainly happier with 42k over 25k and am happy to update! In the tearsheet, I refer to this in the check-mark bullets in the main body:

> [] scalability (production instances with greater than 40,000 hosts in geographically-distributed environments)

So I'll update that to 42,000.

In the "Apache CloudStack: The Cloud That Just Works!" section, the following bullet point is where I'm aiming to make the adjustment:

> -	Highly scalable –CloudStack’s orchestration platforms have been used to scale to ...

I don't want to repeat the same information above, and can simply pull the bullet, although I'm reluctant to do so.

I'm pulling together some figures that were sent privately as well and will suggest alternate wording/metrics here.

Cheers & chat soon,
Sally

Posted by sebgoa <ru...@gmail.com>.
On Jun 29, 2014, at 12:57 AM, David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us> wrote:

>> Largest known deployment is 25,000 hosts.
>>

> What 25k node cloud do you know about?
> I know of a ~42k node cloud (Zynga)

yeah that one, but obviously got my numbers wrong.

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.
On Jun 25, 2014, at 1:28 PM, Sally Khudairi <sk...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hello, everyone --I wanted to come back to this, as I'm still unable to obtain specific metrics for CloudStack.

Sally, please see the other thread where I point Amy to a november 2013 thread that has numbers:

http://markmail.org/thread/5nwfalvwmhzlkpyu

Also check this file:

http://people.apache.org/~sebgoa/cloudstack.kml

Open it in google earth, every yellow pin is a location where cloudstack was downloaded.
Caveat: this does not mean that there is a production cloud at that location, just that an IP in that location (approximately) downloaded the binaries.

Of course, you can get the community analysis from:

http://www.qyjohn.net/?p=3528

I am also working with bitergia on a dashboard:

http://projects.bitergia.com/apache-cloudstack/browser/

Noe that the results are not yet "right" and I need to find time to check all of them….help welcome !!!!

And of course there is Ohloh.

> This is very important when pitching to the media and analyst community.
>
> I know that many of you do have statistics on your users and CloudStack's performance.

CloudStack is a distributed system, hence it's performance is very ill defined. IMHO trying to compare performance of cloudstack with other similar projects will not make sense.
I am not trying to be a pain on this one, but to define performance you first need to define what you want to measure.

Posted by Sally Khudairi <sk...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sally Khudairi <sk...@apache.org>.
Thanks, Giles!

I'm attaching both the Word doc as well as a PDF.

Also, I'm happy to create a version in A4 formatting if needed.

Cheers,
Sally

> D: +44 20 3603 0541 | M: +44 796 111 2055
> Giles.Sirett@shapeblue.com

üa full and open native API (compatible with Amazon Web Services Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2) for organizations that wish to deploy hybrid clouds)
üresource accounting
üchoice of first-class User Interface, command line tools, or full-featured RESTful API to delegate and create self-service offerings
üscalability (production instances with greater than 40,000 hosts in geographically-distributed environments)