Posted to asp@perl.apache.org by Patrick Conroy <pa...@gmail.com> on 2004/11/05 05:23:32 UTC

Can't locate object method "log_error" via package "Apache::RequestRec"

Hello All,

I have been running Apache::ASP successfully for a few months on a
Fedora Core 2 server running Apache/2.0.51, mod_perl 1.99 and the
latest Apache::ASP.  A couple of days ago I tried setting up
Apache::ASP on my RedHat 9 server.  The RH9 box did not have mod_perl,
so I built a new Apache/2.0.52 and mod_perl 1.99 from source and
installed the latest Apache::ASP bundle from CPAN.  On the new server
getting "Internal Server Error" in my browser when I try to view asp
pages.  In the error_log I see the following message and nothing else:

Can't locate object method "log_error" via package
"Apache::RequestRec" at
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi/Apache/ASP.pm
line 1709.

I have verified that the RequestRec package exists, but I don't know
how to resolve this.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Patrick

Re: Can't locate object method "log_error" via package "Apache::RequestRec"

Posted by Joshua Chamas <jo...@chamas.com>.
Quoting Patrick Conroy <pa...@gmail.com>:

> > I am not sure what would cause this problem.  It seems pretty late
> > in the Apache::ASP request cycle to be getting this error.  Does
> > it help to add any of these things explicitly to your httpd.conf?
> >
> >    PerlModule Apache
> >    PerlModule Apache2
> >    PerlModule Apache::compat
>
> Josh,
>
> Thanks for the help.  I didn't realize until I got this that I had
> only replied to Randy directly instead of back to the list.  I was
> able to fix the original problem by reinstalling mod_perl.  However,
> just the other day, I was trying out some of the other features of
> Apache::ASP and when I attempted to use $Server->MapPath("/"), I got
> the error:
>
> Can't locate object method "lookup_uri" via package "Apache::RequestRec" ...

If you can tell me whether it is Apache::compat or Apache2
that did it for you, that would be helpful.

Regards,

Josh

Re: Can't locate object method "log_error" via package "Apache::RequestRec"

Posted by Patrick Conroy <pa...@gmail.com>.
> I am not sure what would cause this problem.  It seems pretty late
> in the Apache::ASP request cycle to be getting this error.  Does
> it help to add any of these things explicitly to your httpd.conf?
>
>    PerlModule Apache
>    PerlModule Apache2
>    PerlModule Apache::compat

Josh,

Thanks for the help.  I didn't realize until I got this that I had
only replied to Randy directly instead of back to the list.  I was
able to fix the original problem by reinstalling mod_perl.  However,
just the other day, I was trying out some of the other features of
Apache::ASP and when I attempted to use $Server->MapPath("/"), I got
the error:

Can't locate object method "lookup_uri" via package "Apache::RequestRec" ...

The really wierd part about this is that this was on the FC2 box that
had been working smoothly all along.  Anyway, to make a short story
long, I tried your suggestion and PerlModule Apache caused a 500
error.  I apparantly don't have it installed on this box, and I don't
know if I need to.  However, removing that one module and leaving the
other two in did fix the problem.   Thank you for your help.

Posted by Josh Chamas <jo...@chamas.com>.
Patrick Conroy wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I have been running Apache::ASP successfully for a few months on a
> Fedora Core 2 server running Apache/2.0.51, mod_perl 1.99 and the
> latest Apache::ASP.  A couple of days ago I tried setting up
> Apache::ASP on my RedHat 9 server.  The RH9 box did not have mod_perl,
> so I built a new Apache/2.0.52 and mod_perl 1.99 from source and
> installed the latest Apache::ASP bundle from CPAN.  On the new server
> getting "Internal Server Error" in my browser when I try to view asp
> pages.  In the error_log I see the following message and nothing else:
>
> Can't locate object method "log_error" via package
> "Apache::RequestRec" at
> /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi/Apache/ASP.pm
> line 1709.
>
> I have verified that the RequestRec package exists, but I don't know
> how to resolve this.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I am not sure what would cause this problem.  It seems pretty late
in the Apache::ASP request cycle to be getting this error.  Does
it help to add any of these things explicitly to your httpd.conf?

   PerlModule Apache
   PerlModule Apache2
   PerlModule Apache::compat

Try these if Randy's earlier suggestion of Apache::Log does not work.
If Randy's suggestion of "use Apache::Log" does work, or PerlModule Apache::Log
then I wonder what does adding this to your httpd.conf add to your error_log:

   <Perl>
     print STDERR "$mod_perl::VERSION -- $ENV{MOD_PERL}\n\n";
   </Perl>

since Apache::ASP is supposed to load Apache::Log based on these values.

Regards,

Josh

Re: Can't locate object method "log_error" via package "Apache::RequestRec"

Posted by Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>.
On Thu, 4 Nov 2004, Patrick Conroy wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I have been running Apache::ASP successfully for a few months on a
> Fedora Core 2 server running Apache/2.0.51, mod_perl 1.99 and the
> latest Apache::ASP.  A couple of days ago I tried setting up
> Apache::ASP on my RedHat 9 server.  The RH9 box did not have mod_perl,
> so I built a new Apache/2.0.52 and mod_perl 1.99 from source and
> installed the latest Apache::ASP bundle from CPAN.  On the new server
> getting "Internal Server Error" in my browser when I try to view asp
> pages.  In the error_log I see the following message and nothing else:
>
> Can't locate object method "log_error" via package
> "Apache::RequestRec" at
> /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi/Apache/ASP.pm
> line 1709.
>
> I have verified that the RequestRec package exists, but I don't know
> how to resolve this.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Patrick

Does inserting
   use Apache::Log;