Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> on 2009/11/02 20:43:58 UTC

Rewrite flags

A while back I started a rewrite/flags.html doc that purported to give
examples for the various flag that can be used with mod_rewrite.

Straw poll - is this

1) a good idea
2) merely unnecessarily duplicate the contents of the reference doc,
drop it
3) the reference doc should simply send folks off to rewrite/
flags.html for further details and examples

I'm leaning towards 2 at the moment.

--
Rich Bowen
rbowen@rcbowen.com

Re: Rewrite flags

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
On Nov 2, 2009, at 13:19 , Vincent Bray wrote:

> 2009/11/2 Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>:
>> A while back I started a rewrite/flags.html doc that purported to
>> give
>> examples for the various flag that can be used with mod_rewrite.
>>
>> Straw poll - is this
>>
>> 1) a good idea
>> 2) merely unnecessarily duplicate the contents of the reference
>> doc, drop it
>> 3) the reference doc should simply send folks off to rewrite/
>> flags.html for
>> further details and examples
>>
>> I'm leaning towards 2 at the moment.
>
> Perhaps 2) but give examples of usage for popular/confusing ones
> elsewhere?

Opinion seems split fairly evenly between #2 and #3 (via discussion at
ApacheCon) and I might be leaning back towards #3. Still not sure.
Probably won't get to this issue today anyways.

--
Rich Bowen
rbowen@rcbowen.com

Re: Rewrite flags

Posted by Mads Toftum <ma...@toftum.dk>.
On Mon, Nov 02, 2009 at 09:19:35PM +0000, Vincent Bray wrote:
> 2009/11/2 Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>:
> > A while back I started a rewrite/flags.html doc that purported to give
> > examples for the various flag that can be used with mod_rewrite.
> >
> > Straw poll - is this
> >
> > 1) a good idea
> > 2) merely unnecessarily duplicate the contents of the reference doc, drop it
> > 3) the reference doc should simply send folks off to rewrite/flags.html for
> > further details and examples
> >
> > I'm leaning towards 2 at the moment.
>
> Perhaps 2) but give examples of usage for popular/confusing ones elsewhere?

+1 - I don't mind reference docs with good examples, but the opposite is
not a good thing.

vh

Mads Toftum
--
http://soulfood.dk

Re: Rewrite flags

Posted by Vincent Bray <no...@gmail.com>.
2009/11/2 Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>:
> A while back I started a rewrite/flags.html doc that purported to give
> examples for the various flag that can be used with mod_rewrite.
>
> Straw poll - is this
>
> 1) a good idea
> 2) merely unnecessarily duplicate the contents of the reference doc, drop it
> 3) the reference doc should simply send folks off to rewrite/flags.html for
> further details and examples
>
> I'm leaning towards 2 at the moment.

Perhaps 2) but give examples of usage for popular/confusing ones elsewhere?

--
noodl