Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by SR <r....@gmail.com> on 2011/07/09 02:38:49 UTC

Local Search – Rank results by businesses density

Hi there,

For local business searches in big cities (e.g., Restaurant in NYC), I’d like to sort the results by the density of the businesses in the underlying neighborhoods (e.g., return x restaurants from the neighborhood that has the highest density of restaurants).

A solution would be to search against each neighborhood in NYC, then return those restaurants that belong to the neighborhood that has the highest density. To my knowledge, this solution requires to have in the geo database all the neighborhoods with their lat & long. Unfortunately, I don't have these data in my database.

I'm writing to see whether some of you have already faced this problem. If so, I'd be thankful if you could share your thoughts with me.

May thanks,

-SR

Re: Local Search – Rank results by businesses density

Posted by Lance Norskog <go...@gmail.com>.
Voting precinct maps are a good proxy for this. US voting precincts
tend to have similar numbers of voters, and so the number of retail
businesses should also be of similar size. Precinct maps shrink the
closer to downtown.

--
Lance Norskog
goksron@gmail.com