Posted to dev@geode.apache.org by Owen Nichols <on...@pivotal.io> on 2019/10/18 19:24:51 UTC

Time to starting thinking about cutting the 1.11 release branch?

Geode's stated policy <http://apache.org/foundation/records/minutes/2018/board_minutes_2018_11_21.txt> is to cut quarterly release branches on a time-based schedule (specifically, the Monday on or after Feb 1, May 1, Aug 1, Nov 1).

Here’s a potential timeline:

Now
[Contributors] Start thinking about how to make features already in develop as stable as possible.
[Contributors] Hold off on merging new potentially-destabilizing work until after the branch is cut.
[All] Start a DISCUSS thread if you want to propose changes to release cadence, release process, or the timing of this release specifically.

Mon Oct 28
Call for someone to volunteer to be the 1.11 Release Manager.  No prior experience needed!  Unforgettable adventure guaranteed!
Release manager begins working through https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/GEODE/Releasing+Apache+Geode

Mon Nov 4
Cut release/1.10.0 branch (only critical fixes accepted from this point forward)

Thu Nov 21 (estimate; actual date depends how many critical fixes must be brought in to stabilize the release branch)
1.11.0.RC1

Thu Dec 5 (estimate; actual date depends how many RC's it takes)
Officially release 1.11.0

Re: Time to starting thinking about cutting the 1.11 release branch?

Posted by Bruce Schuchardt <bs...@pivotal.io>.
Yes, 11/4 should work okay for this job.  10/25 is too soon.

Posted by Alexander Murmann <am...@apache.org>.

Posted by Bruce Schuchardt <bs...@pivotal.io>.

Posted by Owen Nichols <on...@pivotal.io>.

Posted by Alexander Murmann <am...@apache.org>.