Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> on 2014/09/18 16:44:31 UTC

[VOTE] Release HttpComponents Core 4.4-beta1 based on RC1

Please vote on releasing these packages as HttpComponents Core 4.4-beta1.
The vote is open for the at least 72 hours, and only votes from
HttpComponents PMC members are binding. The vote passes if at least
three binding +1 votes are cast and there are more +1 than -1 votes.

Release notes:
 https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/httpcomponents/httpcore-4.4-beta1-RC1/RELEASE_NOTES-4.4.x.txt

Maven artefacts:
 https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehttpcomponents-1016/org/apache/httpcomponents/

SVN tag:
 https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpcomponents/httpcore/tags/4.4-beta1-RC1
 revision 1625906

Packages:
 https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/httpcomponents/httpcore-4.4-beta1-RC1
 revision 6547

Hashes:
 ba39f66fbd0d842cd2def3d9cf53dc19 httpcomponents-core-4.4-beta1-bin.tar.gz
 33da48fe145b92fbdd032bab5c4256af httpcomponents-core-4.4-beta1-osgi-bin.tar.gz
 4592ee0bf1df308999c261c31af1de13 httpcomponents-core-4.4-beta1-src.tar.gz
 45854c3f076c3e662edee4c86d3e5eb0 httpcomponents-core-4.4-beta1-bin.zip
 bf284b86864bb68f7a9092cd4f459f5c httpcomponents-core-4.4-beta1-osgi-bin.zip
 e1d729c189429eafb4cca614a884a798 httpcomponents-core-4.4-beta1-src.zip

Keys:
 http://www.apache.org/dist/httpcomponents/httpcore/KEYS

Re: [VOTE] Release HttpComponents Core 4.4-beta1 based on RC1

Posted by "Asankha C. Perera" <as...@adroitlogic.com>.
> Vote: HttpComponents Core 4.4-beta1 release
> [X] +1 Release the packages as HttpComponents Core 4.4-beta1.
> [ ] -1 I am against releasing the packages (must include a reason).
asankha

--
Asankha C. Perera
Founder and CTO, AdroitLogic, http://adroitlogic.org

http://esbmagic.blogspot.com
Email: asankha@adroitlogic.com
Mobile: +94 722 805724

Re: [VOTE] Release HttpComponents Core 4.4-beta1 based on RC1

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
+1

   ...ant

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 23 September 2014 19:53, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> wrote:

>> > do useless work yourself.
>> >
>> > It is not useless work.
>> > The RM must - and reviewers should - run the RAT and Clirr checks.
>> > This needs to be documented as part of the release voting.
>> >

>> I agree that the RM and reviewers must run or check these reports.
>> It sure would waste less time if the reports were provided or instructions
>> provided (I added some instructions to BUILDING.txt files yesterday FWIW).
>>
>> Gary
>>

> Gary
>
> As both of us just found our reports generated by RM and those generated
> locally by a reviewer may not always match.

In which case we need to find out why this is happening, and fix the problem.

I also get an error running RAT on httpcore trunk unless I run mvn clean first.

If I run it again, RAT complains about target/rat.txt files.
No idea why this should be; I would expect target/* to be excluded
wherever it occurs in the tree.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 23 September 2014 19:53, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> wrote:

>> > do useless work yourself.
>> >
>> > It is not useless work.
>> > The RM must - and reviewers should - run the RAT and Clirr checks.
>> > This needs to be documented as part of the release voting.
>> >

>> I agree that the RM and reviewers must run or check these reports.
>> It sure would waste less time if the reports were provided or instructions
>> provided (I added some instructions to BUILDING.txt files yesterday FWIW).
>>
>> Gary
>>

> Gary
>
> As both of us just found our reports generated by RM and those generated
> locally by a reviewer may not always match. What really matters is
> whether or not the source tarball compiles and passes the checks for
> _you_. Reports published by RM are useless and a waste of RM time.

The RM must run the check and the result should be reported in the release vote.
This shows due diligence by the RM.

Further, when Gary ran the report and found a problem, it was not
clear that the RM had run the same report and not found a problem. We
now have that information, but it should have been in the release
vote.

> If something is still unclear we should work on improving BUILDING.txt
> instructions.

Better instructions are always useful.

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

<http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>
Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [VOTE] Release HttpComponents Core 4.4-beta1 based on RC1

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@ok2consulting.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 21 September 2014 12:27, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 2014-09-21 at 12:12 +0100, sebb wrote:

>> > It performs necessary validation.
>>
>> I meant that showing the command needed to check the release does not
>> document that it has been run as part of the release checking, nor
>> does it document the result of running the check.
>>

> We only vote on source tarball and nothing else. Source tarball either
> meets certain criteria or it does not.

Those criteria must include RAT and should include Clirr.

It is also not strictly true to say that there is no need to consider
the binary artifacts.
Their sigs and hashes must still be checked, and the embedded NOTICE
and LICENSE files must be correct.
Also the binary archive must not include prohibited items such as LGPL
dependencies.

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 21 September 2014 11:22, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 2014-09-21 at 00:52 +0100, sebb wrote:
>> >>

>> > Website is not a release artifact and is not a part of the release
>> > process.
>>
>> No, but the RM is expected to run at least the RAT and Clirr reports,
>> and include them in the vote e-mail to show that these have been done.
>>

> mvn clirr:check apache-rat:check

That does not show the output.

>> Also the review can check if there are any obvious errors in the site
>> so these can be fixed before deployment.
>
> This is precisely the kind of madness I am trying to avoid. Website
> deployment and release votes are completely unrelated.

They _are_ related because the website has to be updated to publish
the new release.
And the website has to agree with the currently supported release(s).

However errors in the site generally do not affect the release vote.

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 20 September 2014 13:49, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Sat, 2014-09-20 at 08:37 -0400, Gary Gregory wrote:
>> I do not understand why there is not a link to a pre-built site for this RC.
>>

> Website is not a release artifact and is not a part of the release
> process.

No, but the RM is expected to run at least the RAT and Clirr reports,
and include them in the vote e-mail to show that these have been done.

Also the review can check if there are any obvious errors in the site
so these can be fixed before deployment.
Even though the site is not part of release process, it is an
important part of the public face of the project.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Sep 20, 2014 at 8:49 AM, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Sat, 2014-09-20 at 08:37 -0400, Gary Gregory wrote:
> > I do not understand why there is not a link to a pre-built site for this
> RC.
> >

> Website is not a release artifact and is not a part of the release
> process.
>
> > Does the RM expect each reviewer to generate their own site to check that
> > the RAT and Clirr reports are OK for example?
> >

> Yes, though running 'mvn clirr:check apache-rat:check' is much
> preferred.

Those pass here, so +1.

Gary

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
I do not understand why there is not a link to a pre-built site for this RC.

Does the RM expect each reviewer to generate their own site to check that
the RAT and Clirr reports are OK for example?

Doing a build per BUILDING.txt works for me here but that does not tell me
that if I am building something that incompatible with the previous minor
version or not (Clirr). Neither does it tell me if all the Java files have
the proper legal header (RAT).

Therefore I do not feel confident voting either way based on the content of
the email and I cannot take the time to run through a whole build process
ATM. OTOH, I could look at a site while I am taking a break from other
activities on my phone...

Gary