Posted to dev@openmeetings.apache.org by Dmitry Zamula <cl...@gmail.com> on 2012/03/30 13:50:46 UTC

[GSoC 2012] Question about OpenOffice in Openmeetings

Hello!

My name is Dmitry, I'm on my fifth year of information technologies at the
National Research University of Information Technologies, Mechanics and
Optics of St. Petersburg, Russia. I would like to participate in GSoC 2012.
I am familiar with Java and surrounding technology (Spring, EJB, Hibernate
etc.). I have one year experience in commercial developments.
I want to ask you for some clarifications, about one of proposed ideas:

"performance: maybe we can set up dedicated OpenOffice service, so we
won't need to have one for each openmeetings installation; in this
case we can monitor document conversion errors and stream them to
Apache OpenOffice project;

another approach to document handling is replacing OpenOffice with
Zimbra, or Google Wave (which is Apache Wave), or Yegor's library; most of
them have problems with Excel though"

Before submitting the application, I would like to clarify, whether the
task is relevant today? Is it possible to use it as a summer project in
GSoC? Do you need any proof of my competence in programming (like test
task)?
I would like to ask a question about the task - As far as I understand
whiteboard displays a static image of the document without the possibility
of editing. Openmeeting uses JDOConverter to convert formats. But I do not
quite understand the role of OpenOffice in the process.

Dmitry Zamula

Re: [GSoC 2012] Question about OpenOffice in Openmeetings

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.
It would be great.

--
WBR
Maxim aka solomax

Re: [GSoC 2012] Question about OpenOffice in Openmeetings

Posted by Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com>.
Dmitry, guys,

I suggest implementing a switch between two before we test POI on real
files and know that we can drop OpenOffice completely. We do not need
the whole "no regression" here, just the absence of serious issues.

Posted by Yegor Kozlov <ye...@dinom.ru>.

Posted by Dmitry Zamula <cl...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

> > "Do I understand right that OpenOffice is used just to convert formats?
> In
> > what format are documents translated?"
> >
> > The current process for importing documents of OpenOffice (LibreOffice)
> > compatible files (.doc, .ppt, .xls, .docx, ...) is:
> > (1) Convert the file to a PDF using OpenOffice [while we only trigger
> > JODConverter that forwards the our document then to OpenOfice]
> > (2) Convert the PDF to a thumbnail of every page using
> > ImageMagick+GhostScript
> > (3) Convert the PDF to a SWF with SWFTools.
> >
> > Sebastian
> >
> > 2012/3/31 Dmitry Zamula <cl...@gmail.com>
> >
> >> Do I understand right that OpenOffice is used just to convert formats?
> In
> >> what format are documents translated?
> >> Also, there is a mention of "Yegor's library" in the task - What is this

С уважением,

Замула Дмитрий

Re: [GSoC 2012] Question about OpenOffice in Openmeetings

Posted by Yegor Kozlov <ye...@dinom.ru>.

Posted by "seba.wagner@gmail.com" <se...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dmitry,

Posted by Dmitry Zamula <cl...@gmail.com>.