Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org> on 2003/03/07 20:38:54 UTC

[ot] Re: Coding style question: backwards null checks

We had a two-hour discussion on this the other day! (though we watched a
movie in between :D) It makes sense in C and C++. It also makes sense to
people for whom C and C++ makes sense.

The main arguments we found for using or not using

null == blah
0 == blah
MY_CONSTANT == blah

in java:

1)   it is common practice in C/C++
2)   it is not common practice in C/C++
3)   it is common practice in java
4)   it is not common practice in java
5)   it makes code verification easier in an editor (for example, if you
      use an editor made for C++ it might find the '=' error in the
      null = blah setup, and not the other way around)
6)   the meaning of what you are doing is more clear, since you
      are testing whether a constant is the thing you just found
7)   the meaning of what you are doing is less clear, since you
      are testing whether an object equals a constant and not the
      other way around
8)   it is not common practice in textbooks (for some reason, we
      couldn't think of a textbook that does it this way; though
      I'm sure there must be)

1-4 are really the most important argument (any way you put it, it makes
life easier if we are all used to the same thing :D), but no-one
bothered checking. In the end we found that null == blah became more
plausible with the amount of beer consumed, so I say we keep doing it in
avalon :D

cheers!

- Leo

Re: [ot] Re: Coding style question: backwards null checks

Posted by Johan Sjöberg <jo...@avaintec.com>.
Leo Simons wrote:
> In the end we found that null == blah became more
> plausible with the amount of beer consumed, so I say we keep doing it in
> avalon :D

Ahh, good point! I never though of that, and I see you have done some
proper investigation too.

I must now start changing these in my own code so I can enjoy a few more
beers before I quit coding. ;) Have a nice weekend.

Cheers,

//
Johan

Re: [ot] Re: Coding style question: backwards null checks

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Leo Simons wrote:
> in java:
>
> 1)   it is common practice in C/C++
> 2)   it is not common practice in C/C++
> 3)   it is common practice in java
> 4)   it is not common practice in java
>
> 1-4 are really the most important argument (any way you put it, it makes
> life easier if we are all used to the same thing :D), but no-one
> bothered checking. In the end we found that null == blah became more
> plausible with the amount of beer consumed, so I say we keep doing it in
> avalon :D

Sounds good to me!