Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org> on 2002/07/03 21:15:56 UTC

Re: Christopher Williamson: URGENT: Bug/compatability issue in Apache 1.3.26

On Wed, Jul 03, 2002 at 03:15:51PM -0400, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> I can feel their pain..

Same here, I'm sympathetic. I think that it might be beneficial to
introduce an "Enable old behavior for backward-compatibility" mode, for
just these occasions where we have altered the behaviour of the server
to be more strict on protocol parsing.

-aaron

Re: Christopher Williamson: URGENT: Bug/compatability issue in Apache 1.3.26

Posted by di...@covalent.net.
> > controlled/hosting environment, it is unlikely that their
> > hosts will allow unchecked patches to be applied to the server.
>
> Also, we rather violated the principle of 'be strict in what you
> send, liberal in what you accept.'  We suddenly became 'strict in
> what you accept' without warning or relief.

Good argument - you convinced me. +1 to go back to:

> Principle of Least Astonishment.

I am willing to code it (for 1.3 only) and willing to make it a config
directive (with the default to be liberal).

Dw

RE: Christopher Williamson: URGENT: Bug/compatability issue in Apache 1.3.26

Posted by Randy Terbush <ra...@terbush.org>.

> Aaron Bannert wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Jul 03, 2002 at 01:19:53PM -0600, Jerry Baker wrote:
> > >
> > > Can't they offer a patch for their existing user base? I'm not
> > > unsympathetic, but introducing these kind of hacks seems like it
> > > would make the code grow more complicated with each
> change in server
> > > behavior.
> >
> > That might work in some cases, but if they are under a
> > controlled/hosting environment, it is unlikely that their
> hosts will
> > allow unchecked patches to be applied to the server.
>
> Also, we rather violated the principle of 'be strict in what
> you send, liberal in what you accept.'  We suddenly became
> 'strict in what you accept' without warning or relief.

Agreed. +1 to revert this back to a more liberal accept mode.

Re: Christopher Williamson: URGENT: Bug/compatability issue in Apache 1.3.26

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

--
#ken	P-)}

"Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Re: Christopher Williamson: URGENT: Bug/compatability issue in Apache 1.3.26

Posted by Jerry Baker <je...@attbi.com>.
Aaron Bannert wrote:

> > Can't they offer a patch for their existing user base? I'm not
> > unsympathetic, but introducing these kind of hacks seems like it would
> > make the code grow more complicated with each change in server behavior.
>
> That might work in some cases, but if they are under a controlled/hosting
> environment, it is unlikely that their hosts will allow unchecked patches
> to be applied to the server. It just seems to me like one of those times
> where we inadvertently broke the principle of least surprise.
>
> -aaron

I meant a patch to their product, not Apache.

--
Jerry Baker

Re: Christopher Williamson: URGENT: Bug/compatability issue in Apache 1.3.26

Posted by Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>.

Posted by Jerry Baker <je...@attbi.com>.