Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by rob rowntree <ro...@mindspring.com> on 2004/07/30 15:46:14 UTC

jaxrpc and saaj - Apache and Sun JWSDP

Sun's recent release of the 1.4 version of JWSDP has some very different jar
files in these 2 areas:

  jaxrpc  jar list

  saaj jar list

Can anyone provide some guidance on this general issue?

Im looking at upgrade paths for system using following and i am confused by
this divergence between Axis and Sun

   Axis based , JaxRPC , and WebServices system  using Attachments for data
transfers.
---

Re: jaxrpc and saaj - Apache and Sun JWSDP

Posted by Anand Natrajan <an...@cs.virginia.edu>.
Rob,

WSDP and Axis are different implementations of the same standards - JAX-RPC
and SAAJ. Naturally, you's expect the implementations to look different.

Axis stows its implementations in jars such as axis.jar, leaving interfaces
in jaxrpc.jar. WSDP on the other hand, stows both interfaces (same as Axis)
and implementations in jaxrpc.jar (uh-oh). As a result, the jaxrpc.jar file
looks different for Axis and WSDP.

If you wish to upgrade from say, Axis to WSDP, you'd have to rip out the 7-8
Axis jars. If memory serves right, they are axis*.jar, commons*.jar,
jaxrpc.jar, saaj.jar, wsdl4j.jar - I may have missed one. Then, replace
those with WSDP's jars (I forget their names). That's the easiest step of
your upgrade. The hard part is doing everything else. WSDP 1.3 didn't have
an Ant target, so you essentially had to exec your way out of build.xml to
invoke java2wsdl and wsdl2java equivalents. Besides, if I remember
correctly, their separation of those two tools wasn't quite as intuitive as
Axis - I remember having to run wscompile and wsdeploy for _both_ steps.
Next, the path to your service is different in Axis and WSDP. WSDP 1.3 also
required me to specify a lot more about my service in multiple XML files,
and it seemed to me redundant and confusing. I'm sure 1.4 has improved on
it, but I haven't taken a look.

Anand

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004, rob rowntree wrote:

: Sun's recent release of the 1.4 version of JWSDP has some very different jar
: files in these 2 areas:
:
:   jaxrpc  jar list
:
:   saaj jar list
:
: Can anyone provide some guidance on this general issue?
:
: Im looking at upgrade paths for system using following and i am confused by
: this divergence between Axis and Sun
:
:    Axis based , JaxRPC , and WebServices system  using Attachments for data
: transfers.
: ---
:
: