Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Ernie Rael <er...@raelity.com> on 2019/11/28 23:29:45 UTC

release verification/validation practices

Going through the verification steps for 11.2-u1, I first downloaded the
source (with a browser), built, tested. Then saw request to check
convenience NBMs. I downloaded a set of nbm/asc/sha512 and discovered
that sha512sum wanted to run from the parent of the nbms directory. I
wanted to fetch the whole nbms tree. I dusted off wget, but ran into
trouble and got a tree rooted at dist.apache.org with some stuff not of
interest downloaded as well. I finally hit upon --no-parent (otherwise
wget will look at "..") and more options.

Here's some things I found useful, would like to hear tips that others
can share. To get the nbms tree

    $ wget -o LOG -r --no-parent -nH --cut-dirs=6 --reject 'index.html*' \
    https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/netbeans/netbeans/11.2-u1/nbms
    $ ls
    LOG  nbms  robots.txt

If I'd better realized what I would need beforehand I would have started
with wget of 11.2-u1

    $ wget -o LOG -r --no-parent --reject 'index.html*' -nH --cut-dirs=5 \
    https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/netbeans/netbeans/11.2-u1/

With the nbm tree rooted at nbms, I could looks at things and check
sha512 with the commands

    ls -R nbms
    find nbms -name '*.sha512'
    sha512sum -c $(find nbms -name '*.sha512')

Similarly for .asc check.

-ernie

Re: release verification/validation practices

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 28 Nov 2019, 23:52 Ernie Rael, <er...@raelity.com> wrote:

> There might be something with simpler output.

Do check the page at
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/Apache+NetBeans+Release+README
That covers both the signing process and some of the checks.

I'm less sure what the best command to recommend to download everything is.

Best wishes,

Neil

Re: release verification/validation practices

Posted by Ernie Rael <er...@raelity.com>.
The .asc check should look like

    for i in $(find nbms -name '*.asc'); do echo === $i; gpg2 --verify
    $i ${i%.asc};done