Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by James Dixon <ja...@canberra.edu.au> on 2005/08/17 04:46:35 UTC

Applying a specific role and group for a specific user

Hi All

A quick question about provisioning roles and groups in jetspeed2.

I have a portal where there are a number of groups (A, B, C), a number of
users (1,2) , two roles (p_admin,p_user) and some portlets (W,X,Y).  In each
of the portlets, admin can do some things in a portlet that the user can't.

Is it possible to set permissions so that a user can be in the p_admin role
for group A, while being in the p_user role for group B? An example of this
in practice would be:

User 1 is p_admin in group A and p_user in groups B,C,D.
User 2 is p_admin in group B and p_user in groups A,C,D.

In portlet W, admin rights are allocated to users that are in group A and
have p_admin for group A.  Therefore User one will have p_admin rights,
while User 2 will have p_user rights.
In Portlet X, admin rights are allocated to users that are in group B and
have p_admin for group B.  Therefore User two will have p_admin rights,
while User 1 will have p_user rights.
In portlet Y, admin rights are allocated to users that are in group C and
have p_admin for group C.  Therefore User two will have p_user rights and
User 1 will have p_user rights.

This might already be possible, but as I see roles/groups working, if User 1
is allocated p_admin rights, that will apply for all groups - is this right?
If so, is there any way around this?  If not, what do I have to do to get
roles and groups functioning the way I have described above?  Or if I
haven't explained myself well enough, please ask for clarification!

Thanks

James