Posted to users@groovy.apache.org by Thibault Kruse <ti...@googlemail.com> on 2017/11/27 07:58:27 UTC

Re: About Gradle, Kotlin and Inner Fear

So, roughly 18 months later, it seems that projects are not exactly
flocking on hordes to kotlinscript-based gradle builds:
allinurl: build.gradle  -kotlin-dsl -JetBrains-kotlin site:github.com 37,300
allinurl: build.gradle.kts -kotlin-dsl -JetBrains-kotlin site:github.com  175

And if I tried to remove all projects that are directly kotlin
related, that number would be even lower.

So it seems both migrating from Groovy to Kotlin as well as starting
new gradle projects with kotlin instead of groovy is not very popular
for projects hosted on github so far, unless my google search query is
flawed.

Posted by Russel Winder <ru...@winder.org.uk>.
On Mon, 2017-11-27 at 20:23 +0100, Guillaume Laforge wrote:
> Anecdotal data points as well at conferences, when I ask the question
> the audience, usually I get a third using Gradle vs two thirds still
> using
> Maven.

I wonder how many are still using Ant or even Make but not admitting
it?

> Kotlin's use is still also anecdotical, while Apache Groovy is still
> way
> more in use, but there's definitely lots of interest about Kotlin.

The rumour appears to be that Kotlin is taking off on Android because
Java is still ancient on that platform.

> It's funny to see folks touting Kotlin with the same arguments we've
> used
> for the past 14 years when we were praising Groovy ourselves :-)

But which arguments?

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200

Re: About Gradle, Kotlin and Inner Fear

Posted by Guillaume Laforge <gl...@gmail.com>.
Anecdotal data points as well at conferences, when I ask the question to

--
Guillaume Laforge

Blog: http://glaforge.appspot.com/
<https://plus.google.com/u/0/114130972232398734985/posts>

Re: About Gradle, Kotlin and Inner Fear

Posted by Russel Winder <ru...@winder.org.uk>.

Posted by Guillaume Laforge <gl...@gmail.com>.
Summarizing the numbers I got with BigQuery queries for Maven vs Gradle,
and Gradle in Kotlin vs Groovy here:
http://glaforge.appspot.com/article/gradle-vs-maven-and-gradle-in-kotlin-or-groovy

Guillaume

Posted by Cédric Champeau <ce...@gmail.com>.
It's a bit premature to compare IMO. First, The Kotlin DSL is not even 1.0.
Second, it's currently most popular in Android projects, where we (at
Gradle) see a lot of early adopters, but it's most often closed source apps.

Posted by Guillaume Laforge <gl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Russel Winder <ru...@winder.org.uk>.
On Tue, 2017-11-28 at 10:13 +0900, Thibault Kruse wrote:

[…]
> Of course there is inertia, and I have nothing to compare the numbers
> to to see if the inertia is normal or not normal.
> Maybe kotlinscript is hugely successful on github because the
> baseline
> expectation should be for there to still be zero projects on github
> using kotlinscript.

Never underestimate inertia in companies, especially big software
development companies!

> So I was curious what other people think of those numbers. To me they
> look low given the amount of blogposts about how great kotlin itself
> is (if assuming such kotlin-hyping bloggers would naturally publish
> their projects on github, too).

Java will remain the prime language on the JVM because it is the Java
Virtual Machine, not anyone else's! Also Java programmers, except the
ones who go to the forward looking sessions at conferences, do appear
to be incredibly conservative bunch. "We moved to Java 1.7, what more
do you want" types are not untypical in the era of OpenJDK9 being the
standard JDK.

They get even more conservative over build, usually because most do not
understand it. Often they are not allowed to change a build, they just
use it. So it is the "build masters" and DevOps folk that need to be
sampled as to why they are using Maven or Gradle, and why with Gradle
they use Groovy or Kotlin.

It would be interesting to see the results of such a bit of research if
someone were able to do it.

In the end getting examples out there of Kotlin used to drive Gradle
will be the only way to give people the confidence to use it: the early
adopters need to do the research for people by providing lots of
examples people can draw on.

Posted by Thibault Kruse <ti...@googlemail.com>.
On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 2:35 AM, Russel Winder <ru...@winder.org.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, 2017-11-27 at 16:58 +0900, Thibault Kruse wrote:
>> So, roughly 18 months later, it seems that projects are not exactly
>> flocking on hordes to kotlinscript-based gradle builds:
>> allinurl: build.gradle  -kotlin-dsl -JetBrains-kotlin site:github.com
>> 37,300
>> allinurl: build.gradle.kts -kotlin-dsl -JetBrains-kotlin
>> site:github.com  175
>
> So what's the problem?

Not sure if there is one, but a higher number would have indicated the
absence of a problem to me.
Since the number is not high, there might be one, or not.

Posted by Russel Winder <ru...@winder.org.uk>.
On Mon, 2017-11-27 at 16:58 +0900, Thibault Kruse wrote:
> So, roughly 18 months later, it seems that projects are not exactly
> flocking on hordes to kotlinscript-based gradle builds:
> allinurl: build.gradle  -kotlin-dsl -JetBrains-kotlin site:github.com
> 37,300
> allinurl: build.gradle.kts -kotlin-dsl -JetBrains-kotlin
> site:github.com  175

So what's the problem? I am very happy using Kotlin for Gradle builds,
especially in IntelliJ IDEA. Almost none of these are on GitHub. GitHub
is not the totality of the universe of programs. Also there is huge
inertia in any change, I am sure GitHub is also proof of this.

> And if I tried to remove all projects that are directly kotlin
> related, that number would be even lower.

Why is that an issue?

> So it seems both migrating from Groovy to Kotlin as well as starting
> new gradle projects with kotlin instead of groovy is not very popular
> for projects hosted on github so far, unless my google search query
> is
> flawed.

So maybe the problem is GitHub?