Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Mike Hogeboom <mi...@criticalmass.com> on 2001/05/02 16:42:54 UTC

need help just installed James

Hi,

I have Avalon and James installed on my MS 2000 machine. I changed the root
password and DNS. I run the bat file and it displays

Avalon runner
parser            : org.apache.xerces.parsers.SAXParser
configurationPath : ../conf/
logFile           : ../logs/avalon.log
libPath           : ../lib/
blockPath         : ./blocks/

Scanning jars for new Blocks...
Reading configuration
Avalon 2.2-dev

2001.05.02 10:27:10 949 Channel default opened

So I assume that it is running even though it doesn't say "Avalon is
running" like the instructions say it should. In the log files it says
2001.05.02 10:27:11 810 (INFO) from RemoteAdmin: RemoteManager using DEFAULT
on port 4555

But when I try telneting from cmd it fails to find the localhost. Same
problem when I use F-Secure SH. I telnet to localhost:4555 but it doesn't
work.

Any suggestions

Thanks
Mike

Re: need help just installed James

Posted by Oki DZ <ok...@bdg.pindad.com>.
chris brown wrote:
> Only workaround seems to be to telnet using some software that uses
> Unix-style keycodes for [ENTER].

The other workaround is to install James using a database for the mail
repositories; setup the Users table on the database, and then add/remove
users using whatever tools available for the database. Various JDBC
drivers are available for their respective databases, so you might not
find any difficulty in connecting James with your favorite databases.

If you use MySQL, then the table would be easily altered using webmin
(www.webmin.com); a web-based system management software. Installation
is not difficult. It involves running a script and select the system
you'd be running the webmin on. (BTW, I haven't checked it out whether
it runs on Windows.)

Oki

RE: more help please

Posted by Mike Hogeboom <mi...@criticalmass.com>.
That was it

Thanks
Mike

Posted by Mark Gordon <ma...@telesoft.com>.

RE: more help please

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@thought.co.uk>.
another common (it would seem) mistake is to change the username & password
in the comment at the top of the XML, forgetting to change the code lower
down.

I don't know how not to make that sound patronising, sorry!

more help please